What's new

Need A New Subwoofer. Help Pls!!! (1 Viewer)

Kiet

Stunt Coordinator
I am currently using a really crappy subwoofer Yamaha SW80, which produces very inaccurate low bass frequency. The damn things shake the glass on my windows while watching movie and it is very annoying. I am planning to upgrade to a much better one. I listen to music (vocal, pop, musical) 40% and watch Movie about 60%. Can anyone suggest me a good subwoofer that is not too strong but gives me a very good solid bass for music and HT.It is for a 6X5X3 = 900 cubic meter room. My budget is less than $700

Thanks

george king

Supporting Actor
you need to contact Brian Bunge at Link Removed to get him to custom build you a sub. He has some standard offerings at $600 that are real killers. However, if you can stretch the budget to around $750, he has a really awesome little sub for sale. You can check them out at the Rutledge Audio Design forum over at www.audiocircles.com

Hope this helps.

BTW, he is a great guy that does really stellar work. I have bought several things from him, and when some money comes in, will have hime build me a sub.

DavidVT

Stunt Coordinator
Brian would be an excellent call if you can stretch the budget a tad.

Also, look into SVS and HSU subs, they have offerings in your price range that would completely dominate your old sub.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’m not familiar with Brian’s work, so I cannot comment.

I do think that the Internet model works extremely well in this area and that Adire Audio, AV123, Hsu and SVS all make products in your price range with which you would be pleased.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
I would consider a few subs from SVS....grab a 25-31 pci if you like the cylinder, or a PB1 box sub...built in good quality amp, and VERY impressive bass for 549-599 bucks..If you get the box, you have some color choices also...I had the 2039 pci before moving( had a room about your size) and it was rockin hard:) (now big room = BIG box needed:) Hello B4+ !! You won't be disappointed..check them out at www.svsubwoofers.com Tom

Kiet

Stunt Coordinator
sorry guys,
I forgot to tell you that I am living in Australia. So I cannot get hole of the SVS or HSU. However, I can get hold of most of the other big names. Eg. Cerwin Vega, Velodyne, B&W, JBL, LM LAB etc.
I guess the pricing for the subwoofer wouldn't be too much off between Aus, and USA.
Anyway, yesterday a salesman offer me a JMLab Sub (SW800) for about U.S. $700. Is that good or should I stick with the USA brand which usually have tighter bass. By the way, this is for a H/K 525 Receiver.

Thanks

Frank Carter

Screenwriter
Maybe shipping the $550 25-31PCi would still be under $700. It doesn't hurt to send an email to get an idea.

DarrenAlan

Stunt Coordinator
I'd also contact Adire to see what shipping the Rava would be to Ozzieland. At $399, even $150-200 shipping would still come in under your budget and I think you'd be very pleased with the product. I know I am.

Kiet

Stunt Coordinator
I just listened to the Velodyne Sub CHT12 today. It sounded quite good for music and movie. Then the salesman showed me the B&W 675 sub. I was hooked, it sounded so great and accurate in such a small box. It makes the CHT 12 looks really bad in comparison , but it costs nearly double the price.
However, my question is that has anyone listened to the JMlab SW800 Sub, because I can get that cheaper than both of them, but they don't have any in stock here so I have to order it without having an audition. Just hoping someone can give me an idea of what it sounds like comparing to the B&W and velodyne.

Thanks

Ned

Supporting Actor
Kiet-

My friend has the JMlab SW800. Everytime he leaves my place after listening to my SVS 20-39CS he discusses upgrading his sub :D

The JM is an attractive unit and does a nice job on music. Movies have some decent kick but lack the true bass output under 30hz. A good sub that has been eclipsed by the more recent internet offerings.

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I would also try to audition the JBL 120 12" model if you have a local dealer. That is a good performer and is available here around $400.

Tom V.
SVS

Arthur Vino

Stunt Coordinator
Try getting a quote from SVS to see what shipping costs are.. I know someone from Europe ordered PB2-Plus..

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Kiet, I’m sure that you would not forget, but the North America Internet companies are almost for sure set up to only use 110–1120v, 60 cycle current. As some of these draw a fair amount of power you would also need a pretty substantial power converter to get them to work in Oz.

Where are you located? I could make some retail recommendations in Sydney.

Kiet

Stunt Coordinator
thanks for pointing that out lew. I was going to ask a question on whether it is ok to use a converter for the 110V in America to 240 V in Australia. Will it blow my subwoofer up if I turn it too loud?

Because I am actually thinking of ordering a JBL Subwoofer on the internet in the US which cost about (US$500 total including shipping) But retail here for almost $AU 2000 (US$1400). But I am affraid I can't get the power converter for it to work properly, I don't want to blow up a good subwoofer.
Anyway, do you know any good retail store in Sydney that can be order via internet or phone, because I don't live in Sydney.

Does anybody knows some good Speaker shopping websites that ships internationally.

Thanks.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I'd recommend diy and just buy a driver (I assume there must be some down there with decent T/S) and a pro amp (there might be some decent local brand there).

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
Kiet,

Just FYI since it seems to be of interest. We ship subs to Australia all the time, and all of our products can be set to operate on 220V 50/60Hz (but only at our shop, it's not user selectable).

Ron Stimpson
SVS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks