Need a new STRONGER Laptop

Discussion in 'Computers' started by CRyan, Jan 14, 2006.

1. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Ok. My laptop sees no power usage - Simple internet, some photo editing, some CD burning, and some music ripping. Thats it and hence why I have been happy with the features of CHEAP laptops.

First was the Compaq (yeah I know). And now with the Toshiba. Well they were perfect for my needs except for one fatal flaw in both! The damn hinges that the screen swivels up and down on BREAK! Basically rendering the thing useless as the screen just flops open and closed and back and forth - yada yada. Seems both lasted exactly 2 years.

So I need a stronger laptop with the meager features mentioned above. I open and cloe the laptop frequently as I use it as a LAPtop. So I just need something that will hold up to that simple "abuse."

I have never dropped my laptops or done anything except open and close frequently, but both have seen early demise due to breaking screen hinges.

Any ideas for a reasonable laptop that will hold up?

2. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

Check out the IBM's with the magnesium cases, they are pretty tough little buggers and still stay very light. Hmm, come to think of it, I haven't heard of any cracking problems with the plastic case IBMs either.

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Dell's inspiron's have much stronger screen hinges then the average laptops I've seen at Best Buy etc.

4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    the ibm (now lenovo) laptops have pretty good build quality, i would imagine they would stand up to normal wear and tear pretty well.

CJ

5. Dennis*G

Dennis*G Supporting Actor

Another recomendation for an IBM/Lenovo laptop

6. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Panasonic makes a whole line of laptops called Toughbooks. They have normal, middle of the road and total offroad models, I think. Possibly the medium-tough lineup might be something for you; the fully ruggedized variants are probably ugly and big as waterproofing and dustproofing will almost assuredly add heft.

7. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter