What's new

Need a new STRONGER Laptop (1 Viewer)

CRyan

Screenwriter
Ok. My laptop sees no power usage - Simple internet, some photo editing, some CD burning, and some music ripping. Thats it and hence why I have been happy with the features of CHEAP laptops.

First was the Compaq (yeah I know). And now with the Toshiba. Well they were perfect for my needs except for one fatal flaw in both! The damn hinges that the screen swivels up and down on BREAK! Basically rendering the thing useless as the screen just flops open and closed and back and forth - yada yada. Seems both lasted exactly 2 years.

So I need a stronger laptop with the meager features mentioned above. I open and cloe the laptop frequently as I use it as a LAPtop. So I just need something that will hold up to that simple "abuse."

I have never dropped my laptops or done anything except open and close frequently, but both have seen early demise due to breaking screen hinges.

Any ideas for a reasonable laptop that will hold up?

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
Check out the IBM's with the magnesium cases, they are pretty tough little buggers and still stay very light. Hmm, come to think of it, I haven't heard of any cracking problems with the plastic case IBMs either.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Dell's inspiron's have much stronger screen hinges then the average laptops I've seen at Best Buy etc.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
the ibm (now lenovo) laptops have pretty good build quality, i would imagine they would stand up to normal wear and tear pretty well.

CJ

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
Panasonic makes a whole line of laptops called Toughbooks. They have normal, middle of the road and total offroad models, I think. Possibly the medium-tough lineup might be something for you; the fully ruggedized variants are probably ugly and big as waterproofing and dustproofing will almost assuredly add heft.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks