Need a new roof for my house. $7,000 out the window.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by ken thompson, Jun 13, 2003.

1. ken thompson

ken thompson Second Unit

How many DVDs is that?

2. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

Better question. . how many DVDs would you lose should the roof come crashing down or let a downpour of rain right in?

I know it seems that spending that much money is for naught, but really, it's probably a good thing [​IMG]

3. David-S

David-S Second Unit

at $18 a piece (rough average of new and old?) that's 390! [​IMG]

4. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

Finally a unit for measuring collections. Mine is about 0.38 roofs.

--
    Holadem

5. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I just had a new roof put on about 4 months ago. Had to replace some damaged fascia board and starter board as well. All-in-all I was out 266 DVD's (at $18.00/ea) or $4,790.00.

Peace Out~[​IMG]

6. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

My house had cedar shake, very expensive to replace due to the fact that new ones have to be fireproof. I had a stone coated steel roof installed for $6k, goes right over the old shakes so there's no disposal problem. I just counted my dvds, and I've spent enough on them to have done the roof and gotten $1k in change.

This stuff looks great-comes in different styles and colors, some of which can't be distinguished from real Spanish Tile until you get within 3 feet, and is guaranteed for the life of the original buyer or 50 years if you sell the house.

It is metal so it does make indoor FM and TV antennas sorta useless because it blocks so much of the signal.

7. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

8. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Jeff,
    The Voices went away 15 years ago, about 5 years after I stopped drinking[​IMG]

9. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Ken, what sort of materials are needed or being used, and is there structural damage that needs repair? That sounds just a bit steep. Of course, you have to be extremely careful when it comes to roofing contractors. Not a good place to skimp.

10. Karl_Luph

Karl_Luph Supporting Actor

Hopefully, the new roof will increase the resale value of your home and maybe there's some way you can count it as a write off on your income taxes. At the very least,your home looks good & you know you won't be having to replace the roof for at least 15 years or so, depending on the type of shingle you went with and the weather!

11. ken thompson

ken thompson Second Unit

Yeah, $7K is a bit steep but I didn't want to go with the cheapest bid. We are going with the nicer archetectural shingles. We are also having four skylights replaced with the raised glass panel ones as well as having some additional ventilation installed and the wood replaced on the chimney. So $7K is not all that bad I guess. It's actually $6,700 but I figure there will be some "extras" popping up along the way.

12. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

13. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

Another reason I bought an old house, tile roofs.

My roof is 80 years old, and will last a lot longer than I will.

The house is also 12" thick stone walls, which will also long outlast me.

It seams that new house are being built for a 30 year life. I will never buy a new house.

14. ken thompson

ken thompson Second Unit

I would think any well maintained wood frame house should last 70 years or so. But I get your point and wholeheartedly agre. Our house is your basic wood framed house built in 1983. It's still in great condition. The new roof will really make the house shine. It's basically the last "old looking" part left to be redone. I cant wait. We're going with black tiles. Should look sharp.

15. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Interesting, my post from yesterday is gone....oh well, try again.

16. ken thompson

ken thompson Second Unit

Our house gets tons of shade so it shouldn't be too bad. Plus with the added ventilation they are putting in hopefully that will offset the additonal heat absorption some.

17. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

my post from yesterday is gone as well...

18. ken thompson

ken thompson Second Unit

There is certainly a difference in construciton quality between wood homes built 100 years ago the ones built today. I'd say a 100 year old wood frame home will likely last longer than a brand new one built today. Pity.

19. Matt Heebner

Matt Heebner Stunt Coordinator

I would tend to agree. My house in Milwaukee, WI (big weather swings!) is over 80 years old, and is in excellent shape. For example, the walls are plaster over lathe board (try and punch through it and you will more than likely break something in your hand), the moldings and doors, door frames are solid oak. The cabinets in the kitchen are maple, and there are hardwood floors through out. The exterior is brick. If you were to build a house with these types of materials and craftsmanship today, it would be very expensive, and I personally don't think that the craftsmanship would even come close.
    OTOH, there is some major downsides to these things. Between the exterior walls and lathe board is absolutely NO insulation....I can feel cold drafts on very cold days. Hanging pictures on plaster walls can be a pain, considering the plaster has a tendency to chip into an even bigger hole! The plaster gets settling cracks in the corners....some say it "adds" character, I don't care for it. And the biggest disadvantage to owning an older home...they require alot of TLC. Houses this old like getting lots of attention, and there is always something that needs to get done or update....although after 8 years here, it's finally starting to slow down a little [​IMG] .

Matt

20. Greg Morse

Greg Morse Stunt Coordinator