Need a new reciever

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by PeterK, Aug 14, 2004.

1. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

I am looking for a reciever that is capable of dolby digital EX. My budget is $300 CND I am looking at this sony at future shop. Keep in mind that I would like to purchase, if i could, from either futureshop or best buy.

2. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

any thoughts?

3. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

done a search on the DE series?

long thread here

i don't think you have many options at that price point if you want DD-ex tho

4. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Hey, im in the same position too, new reciever, under $300 CAD, in Canada :p)

From what ive read, im staying away from the Sony DE's...

If you wanted to buy online, i have been looking at the Panasonic XR25 on ebay which seems like a pretty good deal. they sold them at London Drugs a few months back on clearance for $250 CAD i believe. But at that time, my currnet reciever was working fine.

Good luck with your search, ill be checkin out this thread often [​IMG]

5. DorianBryant

DorianBryant Screenwriter

Panny XR50. Go digital.

6. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Unfortunately, the Xr50 costs $500 CAD i believe, the XR30 costs $350, both over his price range.

7. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

Going used would be your bestest bet. It's going to be tough to get a good receiver in under that price point.

eCost has a 1604 Denon refurb, which comes out to just over $370 shipped and taxed.

I don't know what else could beat that. The Denon is reurbed, sure, but it's as good as new, and you're getting it for half what you would new, so that's not too bad. Blows anything at FS/BB out of the water.

8. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    I would love to help. I was trying to look at the Canadian Best Buy site. It is the stupidest site ever on the net. How the hell do you get in it?

Best Buy Canada

9. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Zen: hehehe... best buy only came into canada recently, and not too many stores are open across the country... they do not have a full site up and running yet.. hopefully soon...

10. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

I really cant go over my budget of 300 bucks unless my parents give in and go for quality. Considering I would like to have DD-EX is there anything else other really better than the sony?

I have also had problems with the best buy sites. bestbuy.com doesn't even let me in because it says it uses cookies and my computer wont allow that (which is a bunch of crap) And the bestbuy canada site is just garbage. It doesn't even have a search bar so you really cant shop for anything online there.

By the way. the Reciever Linked to in my fist post Just went on sale for 250 so I am anxious to make a decision soon.

cheers

11. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

Another drawback I noticed is that this reciever doesn't have any S-video ports. That will be my line when I am talking to the guy at futureshop.
    Peter: What!! no S-Video, all I have is S-Video cables
    Guy: Uh, well...
    Peter: Maybe you could throw in a component cable since I am buying this quality and expensive product from your fine establishment. ... I'll take some optical cables for free to.

12. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

*cough* Denon *cough cough*

Quality, both in build and in sonics, will be far superior to a Sony DE.

And the video ports are only for switching purposes anyways, so they aren't all that important to most people...those people just plug it all into their TV.

13. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

Stupid question. But since I haven't dealt with anything other than HTIB I really need to ask. When I get this reciever, do I do DVD-out to Reciever-in Reciever-out to TV-in? this will be component of course. Or do I just go straight from the DVD to the TV with the video. If I do go DVD/Reciever/Tv does the reciever need to have Prog. Scan capabilities if I want to play my movies in Prog. Scan?

thanks

14. Jimi C

Jimi C Screenwriter

15. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

Looks good. Have you bought from that site before? Are they reliable? what kind of shipping costs are involved. I live in Canada so It wouldn't accept my Postal Code as a valid Zip Code.

16. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

You have to hit the Canadian checkout button. Transfers you to BorderFree. You can put in some fake info (except for your postal code, obviously) and get a quote.

17. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

There is a little Customers bar with a maple leaf below the checkout now button. Is this some sort of canadian page?

What does anyone think of that reciever? good buy?

18. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

That's what I was just telling you to click. Transfers you to the Canadian side of things.

19. PeterK

PeterK Supporting Actor

It won't let me click it. I says that the Onkyo is restricted from delivery to canada. I don't know why but I guess I am out of luck.

Looks like it's good old sony for me

20. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

The Denon is still a little over your budget...but stretching it by $80-100 now will yield you much more enjoyment...believe me. At that price point, it's a steal. The Sony is ... well ... I'm sure you read the threads about it [​IMG]