Need a new Receiver. What to get?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by FredC, Jan 2, 2002.

1. FredC

FredC Extra

I've been reading the threads about receivers to get but am still not sure. Part of it is I'm not sure that I need all that I think I want, and what receivers offer all of them.

I started the search with Yamaha because I have had a pro logic by them for 7 years. Now I need something with Dolby digital and DTS. I started by looking at the RX-V1000 which is around 550 or so online. Then a co-worker got a Denon 2802 and mentioned how Dolby Pro Logic II was amazing, and Tweeter told me that the RX-V1000 was discontinued and didn't have DPL2.

So what I think I want is DPL2, DD EX, DTS ES 6.1.

I have had my eye on teh Yamaha RX-V 1200 which will run approx $700 on line. But this possibility of no warranty has me concerned, and I was thinking I might be able to use AMEX Blue to purchase and then get the $$ back from Amex.

Are there any other receivers under $700 that have these features? Any tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I primarily will be using this for movies, and some (20%?) music.

Here is my set up now.

Yamaha RX-V 470

Polk bookshelf and center,

RCA/Radio Shack Linaeum rears.

Panasonic DVD

2. Bill Bradstreet

Bill Bradstreet Stunt Coordinator

I'm a loyal Yamaha owner, and plan on buying one. I'll look online, but probably will work to negotiate a better price from a local retailer. Give this a try...you never know!

3. Jim_Stu

Jim_Stu Stunt Coordinator

Fred,

May I suggest two features I have found to be very

important.

1) Center channel graphic equalizer.

2) Low level outputs for each main channel, in addition to

the 'sub' output.

Most, but not all, receivers priced over $500.00 have these

two features.

JRS

4. FredC

FredC Extra

Thanks for the input. Anyone know of other receivers with all those features? I love my Yamaha, I just want to make sure I'm not overlooking any other brands.

5. Bill Bradstreet

Bill Bradstreet Stunt Coordinator

Someone will correct me I imagine, but I am confident enough to post the Yamaha 3000, V1, Z1 & 3200 are the only American receivers that have front effect channels. I do no want to lose that feature when I upgrade my receiver. I know of no other brand that offers the front effects.

And I enjoy a DSP for every input I use, so I guess I'm hooked to the Yamaha DSPs as well.