Need a new receiver on a limited budget.

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mike_Ped, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Mike_Ped

Mike_Ped Second Unit

Hello!

I've been out of the home theater loop for a while and I'm a little fuzzy on some of the new technology that is out, so I'm in need of a little assistance in picking out a new receiver for the small, budget setup Im putting together. Here's what Ive chosen (tentatively) so far:

TV: Panasonic TH-42PZ700U 42" 1080p Plasma HDTV
    DVD: Oppo DV-981HD Universal DVD Player with HDMI, 1080p Up-Converting, DivX & SACD
    Speakers: Klipsch RB-81 (x2)

This is a bedroom setup for an apartment so I don't need/can't really accommodate a 7.1 system right now. I will be using the speakers mainly for playing music from an iPOD and watching movies/TV here and there. I don't really need a receiver with a ton of video inputs because I never used them on the last receiver I had...

My budget: $500

I've looked at a few Harman Kardons that looked good, but I'd like to here what you all suggest because you definitely know more than I do about this stuff...

Thanks!

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

Onkyo 605 - Can be had for $399, HDMI 1.3, support for all new HD audio formats and has a clean 90W per channel. Only downside is it does not matrix 5.1 LPCM into 7.1, but that won't apply to a 5.1 setup. Also has an iPod dock accessory to hook up to receiver and display iPod info on screen.

http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=...s=Receiver&p=i

3. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

You should be able to get a Yamaha or Denon in that price range that'll do what you need. HK makes a good receiver, but I've read a lot of threads about QC issues on some models. Yamaha, Denon, and Onkyo are usually safe bets.

4. Raymond lee Leggs

Raymond lee Leggs Stunt Coordinator

Raymond Lee Leggs
    I wonder if new receivers sound as good as vintage receivers?

5. King Ghidora

King Ghidora Stunt Coordinator

My new Denon 787 sounds as good as my old HK pre-amp made my amp sound. I actually didn't think so at first but with some tweaking it does. It always takes me some time to learn the best way to use audio equipment I guess.

6. GregC

GregC Stunt Coordinator

You may want to look into the Oppo 980 as opposed to the 981. The 981 has issues with certain displays which can lead to macro-blocking. I would email Oppo and get their opinion before proceeding.

If you are going to go Klipsch, you may want to avoid "bright" receivers like the Onkyo or Yamaha. Check out Marantz on accessories4less.com for a good price on a more neutral sounding receiver. Alternatively, you could go Onkyo or Yamaha (both fine receivers in the right system) and change your speaker selection to a more neutral speaker. Perhaps the x-ls at av123.com?

Good luck on your quest!

7. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    I have just recommended a friend into a SVS SBC 5.0/PCi 25-31 and Onkyo 605 system. It should all be ready to go in a week or so. I am accustomed to much higher end equipment, but I will report back on how it all goes.

8. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

They should. The speakers have more to do with the sound than the electronics. Of course there are a few lemons out there.

9. gene c

gene c Producer

Gene
    And a few jewels, too [​IMG] .

10. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

Absolutely!

11. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    not sure why anybody would get an Oppo, when you can get a $300 HD DVD player that will perform extremely will with upconverting of SD material.

I am especially making this point given your choice of displays (1080p plasma).

12. MTrotter

MTrotter Stunt Coordinator

Marc

Maybe they want to play SACD/DVD-Audio.

13. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

Man, this post made it sink in how cheap the HD DVD players are now.

14. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    Actually, Cirtuit City (and maybe others) have the HD-A2 on sale for $200.

But to answer Gregg's question. There is the SACD and DVD-A already mentioned, but also Oppos are universal and can be made region free. At this point in the game, that is actually more important to me than HD, though it probably isn't to a lot of people.

15. Brian Serene

Brian Serene Stunt Coordinator

I bought the Toshiba HD A2, and I could not be happier. The performance with SD DVDs is spectacular. I would not buy an OPPO unless you really need region free.