Need a new dvd player to go with my new HDTV.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Ryan Peddle, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Ryan Peddle

Ryan Peddle Second Unit

Ok, So I have my new tv (Tosh 51H84) and am currently using my roomates JVC progressive scan dvd player.

My first and only dvd player was a Proscan PS8675. I bought it for 600 bucks back in 1997 and it is built like a tank. And if it wasn't for the fact that it isn't progressive scan, I'd still be using it.

My roommates is ok...but the thing is light as a feather and I know that price was her first option.

So now I want to upgrade my dvd player, but really don't want to buy a 99 dollar run of the mill progressive scan player.

I would rather spend the bit extra and get something of decent build quality.

I would say in the range of 300 - 400 CAD (200 - 300US) dollar range. It will be a dvd only player. No SACD or DVD-A, just DVD.

Take into consideration my TV, and that I prefer using optical wire as my audio transfer.

The TV is also HDMI, but I'm not sure how that will work with 5.1 system.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. DavidDWright

DavidDWright Auditioning

I just bought a Toshiba 51H84 and a samsung dvdhd841 (139$ for the dvd) couldn't be happier with the picture quality between the two. Worst part was buying the cable to hook up hdmi to the tv. It was as much or more as the dvd player. My dvds have never looked better, I was blown away by the picture quality. I hooked it all up to a Yamaha yht150 surround system, 300$ from Best Buy and couldn't be more pleased at what I accomplished on a limited budget! Have you had your toshiba long? I swear the picture looks better every day on mine. Had it for 10 days now. Good luck! Oh yeah, the sound is incredible on the 5.1 Yamaha system with digital audio cable!

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Ryan, FYI: Nearly all DVD players are of slight build quality these days. Only a few are "built like a tank."

4. Alexander Kuch

Use the LG upconversion 1080i DVD with built in tuner. You can generate 1080i with only component video cables. You can find it at Best Buy for unfortunately 399.99

5. JeffLambas

JeffLambas Extra

I'm with Alexander on this one. The LG with the built in tuner is a great device.

JL