Need a new DVD player - $300 to spend - what to get?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don_Houle, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Don_Houle

Don_Houle Stunt Coordinator

Don
    My current setup consists of the following:

- JVC 32D302 32" direct view television (does anamorphic squeeze via service menu)
    - Outlaw 1050
    - APEX AD-600A DVD player

The Apex is a piece of crap - except for the ability to do multi-region - and even my wife is annoyed by it's inability to handle a plethora of discs. I'm getting a decent performance bonus this year and in addition to a vacation and a new center channel speaker, I've gotten the go ahead on a new DVD player! wahoo!

I don't want to spend more than $300 - I know I can get some decent players for that money. Here's are my requirements:

- Excellent picture quality (don't need progressive at this point, but it might be good to have for a future TV upgrade)
    - Excellent audio performance.
    - DVD-Audio/SACD would be nice. I'm not leaning towards either format at this point.

Here's what I have in mind:
    - Panasonic CP72 (changer, does DVD-A)
    - Sony DVP-NS755V (does SACD)
    - Sony DVP-NS715P (a cheap, no frills solution)

Which if these will provide the best interlaced peformance - since I'm not worried about progressive at this point.

I'm open to other suggestions as well! Let's hear them!

PS: Don't tell me how great the Panasonic RP-82/XP30/XP50 is - they're not available and demand has raised the prices to ridiculous levels!

thanks!

2. Don_Houle

Don
    No one wants to help me out with this?

I've pretty much decided to go with the DVP-NS755V.

After reading about problems that so many owners had with their CP72s, I don't think it's worth the "risk" to order one of these and then have it crap out on my in 4 months! I can't seem to find many negative reviews of the 755 (or many reviews at all, really!), so I think this is my best bet.

So, can I get any comments about the Sony DVP-NS755V?

Thanks!

3. Brian Ruth

Brian Ruth Supporting Actor

Don:

I'd say get the Toshiba SD4800. It has Progressive Scan, DVD-Audio playback, and MP3 playback. It's the player I'll likely choose for my next system upgrade. Definitely worth a look, and it's only $200.

My experience is that Sony usually jacks up the price about $50 for the name on the DVD player. I'd stay away from Sony if you want more bang for your buck.

4. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    If you're only concerned about DVD playback, why not just get the Panny RP62 for

5. Chris_Eff

Chris_Eff Stunt Coordinator

I have the 755 and I love it. I have read good stuff on the interlace and I think it looks great, however I mostly use the progressive. It supposedly has the chroma bug but I have yet to see it. Another plus is that this thing will play every type of disc I throw at it. Dvds that choked my old player play with out a hitch, as well as homemade vcds, dvds, and mp3s.
    I enjoy the SACD playback and it does do bass management (seems like a high crossover at 120hrz) as well as distance. It sounds like a good fit for what you are looking for.

6. Don_Houle

Don
    Thanks very much for the replies, guys!

I will be using whatever decide on as a CD transport as well. I've read a lot of audio reviews for the 755 that say the CD/SACD performance is pretty decent on this player. Since I've recently taken to listening to more music, this will be a good fit.

_MAN_, I understand where you're coming from by suggesting I not spend a lot on a player right now and wait for the next development in technology. I've been waiting for "the next great improvement" since I bought my Apex 3 years ago! I'm not one to upgrade every year - I like to make the most of my purchases. So, I think I'm better off going with something that will last through my next upgrade (better speakers, HDTV).

7. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

8. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

You can get the Toshiba SD4800 for under $170 at eCost.com, and free shipping too.

9. Paul cbc

Paul cbc Stunt Coordinator

Don,

I have had a ns755v for about 10 days now and am pleased with it so far. Both audio and video(interlaced) playback seem nice. Only 10 days so this is in no way definitive, but so far so good. Just checked onecall and they had it for $223 shipped. Sounds like you are upgrading and will be happy regardless of which model you choose.

Good luck [​IMG]
    paul

10. Don_Houle

Don
    Thanks Paul!

I just ordered the 755v from www.onecall.com. Their price was better than Crutchfield's and included shipping! It looks as though they have as good a return policy as well.

I'll let you all know my thoughts as soon as I get a chance to put a couple of DVDs through this bad-boy!

Thanks again for everyone's help!

11. Don_Houle

Don
    I received my 755V on Wednesday morning - luckily it was my day off so I could set it up and play!

Initial thoughts:

Build Quality - I was surprised as how light this thing is! It's a real feather weight as far as size/feel. But, this is probably not too important these days - especially in a $250 player.

Setup - Quick setup was easy since I'm using the DD/DTS decoders in my Outlaw 1050 so there was no speaker setup necessary. I like the menus! Much nicer than my old Apex!

DVD - Speedy disk load times. My Apex would spin and thump and hum before starting a disk. The Sony is quick and quiet. Plays all the disks that I had trouble with before without a hitch. NICE!

Video Quality was good. I haven't watched any of my "reference" disks (other than Video Essentials), but everything seemed good. I watched Signs yesterday and colors looked like they should and the image was clean and sharp.

Audio was crisp and clear. I really didn't notice much difference with the audio on DVDs. Maybe just a little more low end on the DTS soundtrack for Road to Perdition - but that's hard to say for sure. NOTE: this may be due to the limitations of my current 4 speaker/no sub setup!

SACD - I played with just a little. I don't have enough interconnects yet for the 5.1 output, so I'm not getting the full effect. The demo discs included with the player sounded great, though.

I'll update this thread as I learn more.

12. Richard Waller

Richard Waller Second Unit

Don, I am interested in hearing more about this player as you learn more about it. The Police and Pink Floyd SACDs really interest me and I've been meaning to get a new player soon.

I haven't read much about the red chroma bug, so it might not be that big a deal with this player. I have noticed one movie that had problems on my Malata. It was Sweet Home Alabama. Do you have this movie and does it show any signs of the chroma bug on the Sony?

Feel free to email me any information you can that I might find helpful. Thanks!

Richard