What's new

Need a new Computer! (2 Viewers)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Win 11 Home requires you to set up with a "Microsoft account" so they can keep tabs on you. Win 11 Pro permits you to set up without such things, you can be "anonymous". How much is your privacy worth?

Yeah, I refuse to use a Microsoft account to log into my own PC (at least for most/normal usage that really shouldn't need nor benefit from that). I do have a Microsoft account, but refuse to have it tightly coupled to my own PC's local access/acount.

Presumably, Windoze 11 Pro also continues to let you substantially delay system updates (like 10 Pro), if you want, no?

_Man_

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Win 11 Home requires you to set up with a "Microsoft account" so they can keep tabs on you. Win 11 Pro permits you to set up without such things, you can be "anonymous". How much is your privacy worth?
That "Microsoft Account" is only required for the initial set up and log in. Once you've logged in that account can be easily converted to a local login - no more ties to MS via the login - and if you need multiple local accounts they're easily created. The primary "benefit" is MS has a record of the product key/hardware hash on that account which *can* make major upgrades less troublesome when it comes to licensing. Recent "insider" builds have begun doing that for Pro as well and it's expected to go that way with retail versions (the only ones that won't require that will be Education/Enterprise editions and MS is gently pushing those towards Azure AD services over local AD).

There *are* a few benefits by using "Pro" but they're fairly minimal.

The main things "Pro" gives you are:
Bitlocker (though there *is* device encryption available in Home)
Access to the Group Policy editor (easier than registry hacks if you *really* need it...)
Ability to join a domain (few home networks have a server to control access)
Hyper-V (local VMs built on top of the OS with build-in management - there are free 3rd party products that can do this on Home editions). The big thing Hyper-V does is use the core license for the VMs (there's a maximum number you can use but I forget how many that is - we use a 3rd party enterprise VM solution and run all our servers and workstation/testing VMs on that product coupled with AD Activation).

You can also have more RAM in Pro (2TB vs. 128GB for Home) and a 2 core CPU vs 1 for Home (and the primary benefit there is the ability to run several VMs without a hit to the core OS).

And that's pretty much it for "practical" differences (there's lots more in Pro/Enterprise but none of it benefits home users as it's all about device management). Updates for Pro/Enterprise/Education can be managed by a domain process (Windows Server Update Services) which allows deferment of updates via a separate update server (can't do it directly on the box). If it's not joined to a domain with WSUS then you have the same limits of Home as far as delaying things go. Outside WSUS you have to use what's called a LTSC version (Long-Term Servicing Chanel) which allows you to lock in a version for ~12 months - but that's an Enterprise product. One little trick for Home is to set your network connection as "metered" which prevents most updates from automatically downloading and gives you back a bit of that old control over updates.

I prefer Pro simply because I'm a Network Admin and am used to managing systems so those tools are what I use daily and am comfortable with them. In spite of that, all but one of my home systems are "Win10/11 Home" with a single Win10 Pro workstation (and it was upgraded from Win7 Pro) none of which *ever* sees use of any of those available tools/resources. I occasionally miss Group Policy Editor but it's a rare thing. I *do* like Hyper-V over most 3rd party solutions but don't use VMs at home (that might change when I retire - but I'm also comfortable with several of the 3rd party solutions).

All that to say there's really nothing wrong with Home and little reason to pay extra for Pro- as long as you convert that online account to local *AND* disable "S" mode.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You guys are getting into the deep weeds when it comes to addressing my computer needs. Your concerns and requirements are quite different from mine. I just want a computer to do the simple stuff. Again, I don't play computer games or any other interactive stuff. I might watch a YouTube video is the extent of my media usage on a computer besides Spotify for music.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
@Robert Crawford - Are you in the neighborhood of Madison Heights? If so these guys are about as good as you can get for retail sales. They can sell you the parts you need, sell you an existing complete system or build to your specs.

They're about 90 minutes away.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not much as I don't care if they monitor my crap.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
That "Microsoft Account" is only required for the initial set up and log in. Once you've logged in that account can be easily converted to a local login - no more ties to MS via the login - and if you need multiple local accounts they're easily created.
My beef with that comes when I go to recycle PCs. With a Pro version I can wipe the disk and do a fresh anonymous install before taking it down to the computer recyclers. I can't do that with a Home version without leaving my account info on the machine, so I just wipe the disk and turn it in that way. I figure the recyclers would rather have an operating machine which they could then sell off or donate to charity.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
My beef with that comes when I go to recycle PCs. With a Pro version I can wipe the disk and do a fresh anonymous install before taking it down to the computer recyclers. I can't do that with a Home version without leaving my account info on the machine, so I just wipe the disk and turn it in that way. I figure the recyclers would rather have an operating machine which they could then sell off or donate to charity.
Where possible I remove any "HDs" completely before recycling. All are either keep for archival reasons, wiped and used as an external drive, or added internally to another system.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Another thing, I never had a laptop. I wonder if I should go that route this time as it would give me flexibility throughout the house. I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud.

Any suggestions would be a great help. Cost isn’t an issue. I just want a good PC with enough storage space in Ram and hard drive.

You guys are getting into the deep weeds when it comes to addressing my computer needs. Your concerns and requirements are quite different from mine. I just want a computer to do the simple stuff. Again, I don't play computer games or any other interactive stuff. I might watch a YouTube video is the extent of my media usage on a computer besides Spotify for music.
Seems like a laptop would be a good option. Unless you particularly like / prefer only using a computer sitting at your home-office desk.

Your uses are typical, easily done on a laptop. And then you can enjoy your Spotify on your couch or watch YouTube videos cooking in the kitchen or post on HTF in bed. (I’m writing this post on an iPad while eating breakfast; and previously I was watching baby-sloth videos on YouTube on it laying in bed. :) )

It sounds like you want a budget option, so something like this:

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
(I’m writing this post on an iPad while eating breakfast; and previously I was watching baby-sloth videos on YouTube on it laying in bed. :) )
I'm writing this post on a desktop 3060 with an eye-friendly 32" monitor and a "natural" split keyboard, the latter of which is more comfortable for typing than the keyboards of any laptops I've tried.

I think Robert is learning the important lesson of never asking advice from computer nerds.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If Robert wants/needs a desktop, he can get a desktop.

I’m relaxing on the couch, coffee at hand, using my “laptop” (my iPad, but same difference).

But laptops are popular for good reason: convenience and comfort.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
"Guilty as charged." :cool: Sometimes my enthusiasm for all things tech gets the better of me and I subconsciously project my sickness onto others.

I agree with @DaveF , get a decent laptop and be done with it. While cost isn't your main concern, your needs can still be met quite inexpensively.

Especially for these types of purchases, I'm a Costco guy because they offer no-hassle exchanges/returns should you have any issues.

This is a killer deal if you're a member.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
That Costco laptop from @John Dirk looks great. $500. 512GB SSD. 14” screen.

The one caveat here in Pandemic World: do you Zoom / video chat much? That’s got a crappy 720p camera. You can spend more for better video if that’s a priority. If not, then totally get a $500 laptop and enjoy the rest of your summer doing your Spotify on your deck / patio. :)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Whatever you get: get the SSD model not the “hard drive” model. That’s the single-biggest performance upgrade for everyone, normal and power user, of the past decade.
And the newer NVMe SSDs are maybe 4 times faster than the old SATA SSDs. And with simplified packaging, they are currently even cheaper.

mskaye

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Kochman
new MacBook Air. M2 chip. Just bought one for a signif other. It's flawless. Fast. Quiet. Easy. Battery lasts all day. Probably future proof for 10 years.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
While the idea of a laptop and the portability that affords is desirable; are you going to be comfortable with a smaller screen and keyboard coming from a desktop environment? Unless you go with one of the 17 inch laptops you are probably going to notice the difference. There is some variability in tactile response across keyboards from various laptop manufacturers so my advice would be to "audition" the laptop if possible to verify you are comfortable typing on the unit's keyboard.

That's just my personal experience navigating between a normal desktop environment and a 13" laptop. Your and other's experiences may vary. For me it is just like HT; bigger screen = better experience. :)

- Walter.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
auditoriumchair
Recent bookmarks