What's new

Need a new Computer! (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Another thing, I never had a laptop. I wonder if I should go that route this time as it would give me flexibility throughout the house. I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud.
I am kicking around this idea for my eventual next PC purchase, but that will probably be a year or two away. My usage case is different, though. I currently have a desktop PC at our home in Michigan, and I use it for photo processing (photography is a longtime hobby), as well as for daily tasks. I also have a laptop that I use primarily when we are at our South Carolina condo. I am finding keeping my applications up to date on both devices and moving data back and forth (while doable) is somewhat of a pain. When I finally need a new desktop, I may look to a single laptop solution with a decent docking system for home in Michigan, and I can then just take my "home" PC with me to South Carolina -- albeit without the large external monitor, external keyboard, external data drives and photo scanner (I have a cheap combo laser printer / document scanner in South Carolina).

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Why avoid Windows 11?

From little things to privacy issues. So for little things I do not care for the start menu and toolbar and like Windows 10 more. Windows 11 because it has not been out long is more likely to be a little buggy while 10 is more stable. And unless it has been fixed there are issues that effect those with AMD processors. For those with recent hardware Microsoft recently acknowledged that Windows Server 2022 and Windows 11 have an acceleration encryption bug that can result in data corruption. So Microsoft recommends that people install the newest version of Windows 11. There is a number of fixes that still need to be done as being relatively new it still has bugs. Microsoft says android apps will be able to run on Windows 11 but so far there is nothing available. Windows 11 uses there Bing search engine which can send out thousands of queries a day without the users permission. Which means Microsoft is collecting search data along with possible sensitive data. Microsoft is really pushing for online accounts and trying to push people away from offline accounts. Windows 11 privacy concerns are also exacerbated by Windows’ voice assistant Cortana. Control panel inconsistencies and the removal of the search bar and I am sure there are other things.

I could get a free upgrade to Windows 11 and I have an icon saying Windows 11 is ready for my pc but to many issues remain and I for one will not be upgrading anytime soon. Windows 10 is said to end support in 2025 which sounds stupid and way to soon. I also hear that the next version of Windows may be coming out way sooner because of the dismal adoption rate of Windows 11.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
... the dismal adoption rate of Windows 11.
That may mostly be due to the stringent hardware requirements to run Win 11. None of my old PCs around house would qualify.

In the past I'd keep my old desktop in the closet to use as a tool to determine whether any new MS update would screw up my system and data. Win 11 prevented that.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah, my desktop is Win 10 and not that old and the updater tells me it's not able to run Win 11.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
And because Apple abandoned disc drives which gave the PC market cover to follow suit.
Don't go there, Dave! ;)

Another thing, I never had a laptop. I wonder if I should go that route this time as it would give me flexibility throughout the house. I don't know, I'm just thinking out loud.
I wouldn't advise this unless you really have a strong use case that demands portability. Laptops are a complete pain to repair compared to a good old modular "box."

I for one will not be upgrading anytime soon. Windows 10 is said to end support in 2025 which sounds stupid and way to soon. I also hear that the next version of Windows may be coming out way sooner because of the dismal adoption rate of Windows 11.

It's actually in line with the typical 10 year Microsoft OS life cycle. Windows 10 was introduced July 2015. Of course Microsoft said it would be the last version of Windows, but...

The hardware requirements aren't going away with any future Windows release and they're certainly not going to give up trying to further infiltrate our privacy with their useless Microsoft accounts so I don't really see your point. For the moment anyway, I've chosen to just accept it but if/when I really get fed up I'd be looking to a Linux distribution.

That may mostly be due to the stringent hardware requirements to run Win 11. None of my old PCs around house would qualify.
Agreed.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
The capacity of optical drives is now so small compared with modern file/backup requirements that their use is marginal. I bought an external DVD R/W for my most recent laptop just for loading heritage software.

I agree that optical drives are now marginal for backup, but they still have applications:
  • Importing music from your CD collection for use on your computer, phone, etc
  • Creating DVD-Video and Blu-Ray-Video discs containing family photos and videos

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Don't go there, Dave! ;)

Apple now has abandoned not just internal optical drives, but internal hard drives. All current Macs have internal SSDs … and the only ones that can even take internal hard drives are the Intel-based Mac Pros (with the aid of third-party products).

If SSDs continue to get larger and cheaper, I'd expect more and more PCs (especially laptops) to follow suit.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
So for little things I do not care for the start menu and toolbar and like Windows 10 more.
I hate the Windows 11 start menu. I also really dislike how it only wants to let you install programs via the Microsoft Store, and if you want to install anything else you need to disable "S Mode" and open up all sorts of security issues.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I hate the Windows 11 start menu. I also really dislike how it only wants to let you install programs via the Microsoft Store, and if you want to install anything else you need to disable "S Mode" and open up all sorts of security issues.
Great, it should be fun moving my data from my 8.1 computer to this 11.0 computer. Anybody had any trouble installing DVD Profiler with Windows 11?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I had to do that on the version of Windows 10 that came on my laptop -- I think it was a 32 bit home version. Didn't need to do it on the 64 bit Pro version that came with my desktop.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
You should generally disable S Mode, unless you're an Administrator and need it to restrict Enterprise machines.

The Start menu and taskbar can be returned to their Windows 10 look. Here's a simple tutorial.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I thought I read somewhere that Microsoft is going to stop supporting Windows 10 in 2025.
Yes - the "official" end-of-support date. However, that generally means few, if any, feature updates. Win7 machines were supported for a full 5 years past EOS with "critical" updates and the few VMs we still have in service (to run software that just won't work at all on Win10) get critical updates every 3-6 months or so. I keep expecting that to end but, so far, it's not.

I have a laptop and desktop.

I use the laptop while sitting in my comfy chair watching TV, doing basic browsing, and catching up on various forums. I'll also dl stuff on it on occasion. It does *not* have a DVD drive of any type (though I could easily add one via USB if needed).

The desktop is used for my more "serious" work - ripping CDs, backing up software, data, etc. as it has dual DVD burners to make that easier. I still use a local DVD and CD cataloging software that's installed on both. The DVD catalog runs in "portable mode" - meaning all I have to do to sync/backup/transfer the data is copy the entire folder to a flash drive and drop it on another system. The CD catalog stuff uses a very, very old DOS based relational database I set up 20+ years ago. It does *exactly* what I need done, far easier than Access (and I've attempted several times to create that same linking in Access to no avail - it's just not as good). I have to run "DOS-BOX" for it to work but the database is dead easy to move/copy from one system to another.

I like having both but the laptop gets more use these days.

You should generally disable S Mode, unless you're an Administrator and need it to restrict Enterprise machines.

The Start menu and taskbar can be returned to their Windows 10 look. Here's a simple tutorial.

IMHO, you should disable "S Mode" no matter what kind of network you're on - local/personal or corporate/enterprise. It's absolutely not needed in enterprise as there are better, easier, ways to restrict things.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
OK nobody has made any targeted suggestions to Robert.

He wants Win 11 Pro, but the recent i3/i5/i7 choices? A micro chassis or a tower of some kind?
What brand for long-life logistics support?

My bias: an i5 is a good choice and I prefer towers since they are easier to work on and have better ventilation. A 500 GB NVMe SSD is only $45 these days (WD SN570 series example). I prefer Dell over HP for long term end user support: I checked and the 4300 I bought 20 years ago still has docs and drivers up at the Dell site. The Dell Optiplex line normally comes with Pro versions of Windows.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Owner
Real Name
Dave Upton
@Robert Crawford - are you opposed to a PC that has lots of blinky lights? I ask because although typically used for gaming, the builders who make these PCs generally give you the best product for your dollar, with no crappy software to muck it up from day 1.

Something like this would be a little more high-end and built very well: https://www.digitalstorm.com/lynx.asp

A good budget alternative would be NZXT: https://nzxt.com/collection/foundation-pc

Unfortunately, Dell, Lenovo and HP install tons of crapware on their machines and unless you are comfortable having someone come reinstall windows clean, they will never perform how they should. I can link a few options from the above, but would strongly recommend budgeting about $150 to have a local IT guy come wipe it clean and migrate your data for you.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
OK nobody has made any targeted suggestions to Robert.

He wants Win 11 Pro, but the recent i3/i5/i7 choices? A micro chassis or a tower of some kind?
What brand for long-life logistics support?

My bias: an i5 is a good choice and I prefer towers since they are easier to work on and have better ventilation. A 500 GB NVMe SSD is only $45 these days (WD SN570 series example). I prefer Dell over HP for long term end user support: I checked and the 4300 I bought 20 years ago still has docs and drivers up at the Dell site. The Dell Optiplex line normally comes with Pro versions of Windows.
Do I need Windows 11 Pro? Wouldn’t Windows 11 Home be sufficient enough?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don’t play computer games. I need a computer for this site and to browse the internet. Watch some sports and listen to some music.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
@Robert Crawford - are you opposed to a PC that has lots of blinky lights? I ask because although typically used for gaming, the builders who make these PCs generally give you the best product for your dollar, with no crappy software to muck it up from day 1.

Something like this would be a little more high-end and built very well: https://www.digitalstorm.com/lynx.asp

A good budget alternative would be NZXT: https://nzxt.com/collection/foundation-pc

Unfortunately, Dell, Lenovo and HP install tons of crapware on their machines and unless you are comfortable having someone come reinstall windows clean, they will never perform how they should. I can link a few options from the above, but would strongly recommend budgeting about $150 to have a local IT guy come wipe it clean and migrate your data for you.
Dave,

Any suggestions would be a great help. Cost isn’t an issue. I just want a good PC with enough storage space in Ram and hard drive.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
@Robert Crawford - Are you in the neighborhood of Madison Heights? If so these guys are about as good as you can get for retail sales. They can sell you the parts you need, sell you an existing complete system or build to your specs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiataMan
Recent bookmarks