need a new computer setup... $1000 budget, please help!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by joe_waite, Feb 22, 2003.

1. joe_waite

joe_waite Stunt Coordinator

ok guys, im not a big computer wiz by anymeans but am in the market for a new setup. right now i have a dell dimensions 4100. i bought it for college about 3 years ago and its time to upgrade. i have a budget of $1000 including everything!! i would LOVE a LCD flat panal monitor if at all possible as well. so could you guys please recomend me a nice setup for my money. and please be basic in your explinations, i really have no clue when it comes to these. i dont do any gaming on it though, so basically need it for the internet and projects/homework ect. thanks guys!!!

2. BrianShort

BrianShort Supporting Actor

What do you have now? I'm asking about things like the speed of the processor, amount of RAM, those kinds of things? Also, what kind of work would you be doing? When you say projects/homework, are you talking about basic software like Word and Excel, or things that might require more power, like Photoshop, etc?

I'm just asking because games and high end graphics applications are the only things that really need a fast computer. All you might really need is some more ram.

I'm assuming you want a package from a company like Dell, and you arent interested in building your own [​IMG]

3. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

Joe,
    Have you considered a Mac? Right in your price range, Apple offers the iBook (which is a fantastic laptop), the eMac (a CRT based updated iMac), and the older version of the iMac. They all come with all of the software you'll need.

4. Daniel Alan

Daniel Alan Agent

try out abspc.com, they are a reliable dealer. and if you want a LCD under that price then I would look for a deal on half or ebay

5. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

You can pick up an 18" Microtek LCD monitor from Walmart for $400.

That leaves $600 for a computer. You can either get a nicely built one from Dell for that much, or you can build one yourself:

Athlon XP 2100 $100
    nForce2 mainboard $110
    512MB PC2700 $90
    80GB HD $80
    52X CD-RW $30
    ATi Radeon 9000 Pro $95
    Case/PSU $60
    +$40 for any other components (modem, LAN, KB, mouse, etc.)

6. Bobby McGee

Bobby McGee Extra

Don't forget, when building your own, if you don't already own an OS, you will need to layout about $100 for the upgrade version of XP. Many people forget this cost. Pre-built PCs include it. Of course, if you already own your OS (ie, 98, SE, ME) you can just use that, but if you want XP, remember, it's machine-specific.

Also, some of the time, pre-built computers come with some software that eliminates the need to have to buy it yourself (although most is useless). I find, that if all you want is a typical PC that does typical duties, when it's all said and done, it's hard to beat the price of today's complete system setups.

7. Derek Iverson

Derek Iverson Stunt Coordinator

I think a lot of people forget about the cost of an OS, because they themselves use pirated versions to save money and put more into hardware.

8. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

For homework and Internet browsing, why throw away the 4100? Chances are that your typing speed is the bottleneck when you are doing word processing, and that your modem is the bottleneck when browsing the Net.

Just keep the machine, and put the $1,000 into savings.

9. Miles Lucasso

Miles Lucasso Stunt Coordinator

I'm with Tom as to the suggestion to keep your dell if homework and internet is your main use, with a couple exceptions:

1. install an ethernet card $15
    2. get a modem/router $50
    3. get dsl, probably an extra $15-$20 per month.
    4. add some ram to perk the oldie up. again less than $75

But if you've already decided new is what you want,
    buy a refurbished unit.

I just bought a unit with :
    pentium 4 2.4
    120 gig 7200 speed hard drive
    512 ram upgradeable to 2gig
    dvd 16x
    cdrw 40x
    an amazing 17inch fp 7020 lcd monitor
    xp home
    all for $1159.