1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Need a little help with number of cables!

Discussion in 'Accessories, Cables, and Remotes' started by Allan.G, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Allan.G

Allan.G Auditioning

Trying to pre wire for front projection. The Optoma H76 finally shipping I think, Will get projector for 5 to 6 months anyway so maybe it will be easier to get by then.
    Can't find a picutre of the inputs that would help.

The Projector states the

Inputs are:
    DVI
    BNC
    YcbCr/YpbPr
    RCA- type jack
    S-Video
    dual IR receivers

Outputs are:
    Dual +12V relay
    RS-232

I know I need one DVI

I know I need one S-Video

These are the one's I have questions about:

BNC ? What would this be for?

YcbCr/YpbPr --I think this is One componet cable right?

RCA - Type Jack -- dont know what this is for- do I need one composite cable for this?

Outputs

I assume the dual ir receivers are to relocate the ir pickup for the projector can't figure out why there are two lol?

RS-232 ? I have no idea what this is

If anyone could give me a hand it would be greatly appreciated

2. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

Allan

What sources will be input to the projector?
    DVD, VCR, Cable/Sat.......

Does your DVD player have DVI out, component out? You may not need to run S-video if your other sources have component outputs (unless you run out of inputs on your projector).

YcbCr/YpbPr is the component input.

There 'may' be 3 x BNC connectors for component input, however, I am not familiar with the unit you refer to so it/they may be for something else.

BNC is a insert/twist/lock type connector (useful in a situation like a remotely mounted projector where you don't want to worry about a cable coming loose).

Here is a component cable with RCA to BNC:
    http://www.bus.ucf.edu/cwhite/theate.../Component.jpg

3. Allan.G

Allan.G Auditioning

Hey paul thanks for the reply

I feel kind of stupid, I finally found optoma's web site and got to look at a pic of the connections.

I also did more research and figured out all the lingo I think lol
    The BNC connections are for r,y,b,vsync,hsync

do you know anything about bluejean cables?
    any good ? much cheaper than cobalt cable or cables to go.

is there really any big difference in these companys cables?

Thanks again

4. PaulT

PaulT Supporting Actor

I don't have experience with bluejeans, but they seem to have a good reputation on this forum.

I'm not a believer in high end cables (and their costs) but would spend more of my money on a good quality video cable (I have not been able to tell the difference in audio cables or speaker wire for that matter).

Some other cable builders would be:

www.rhinocables.net
    www.bettercables.com

5. Allan.G

Allan.G Auditioning

One more quick question please. And I think I will be all set LOL

DVI Cables?

Projector says DVI-I (HDCP)

Most of the cables I have found are DVI-D and some are DVI-I

What is the difference? Will DVI-D work for me?

Thanks again for putting up with a Noobie

6. Allan.G

Allan.G Auditioning

I have found my own answer I think.

here is the link if anyone needs it:

it won't let me put a link up because I have not posted enough so here is the address mius the stuff the goes in front you know

directron.com/dviguide.html#cabling

7. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator

Many longer DVI cables have not been ranked all that "great". IMO, the real benefit to DVI is copy protection. So, it's more a studio connection than a pure improvement. Not having DVI experience myself, I can't say there are never gains. Perhaps they are. But the reality of it is, component video is pretty darn good. I have 2 displays with DVI and one output device, and really, no desire to use them.

As far as the 5 connector BNC, you will likely only want that if you use a scaler/line doubler. Not being familiar with your projector, I don't know if it's digital, LCD, or CRT. CRT stands to benefit the most from the 5 coax BNC connection using the external doubler. Most of the newer digital/LCD are HDTV grade already, no doubling required. I don't personally know of a DVD player using the 5 coax setup. But I suppose it's possible they exist. But if you were to need one, I have a 5 coax bundle on hand that would be really sweet for them with pro-BNC connectors. One HTF member purchased one already, and he positively loved it.

Lex