1. The HTF Tapatalk application has been discontinued. Please see the thread in the Forum Help & Feedback area for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

Need a Little Help and Some Suggestions

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by StuSm, May 17, 2004.

1. StuSm

StuSm Auditioning

I am in the process of building a new house and plan on installing a home theater system. I am a complete newbie when it comes to home theater. I do not want to spend an arm and a leg. I am already doing that on the rest of the house. I like most people initially look at the Bose systems (Life Style 12, Sam’s Club). The little bit of information that I have picked up was that some people say the Bose speakers are great but I may be better off using a different make amplifier and DVD/CD player. The room that it will be going into is 24 foot by 30 foot. It is a family room with other furniture and maybe a pool table at some point. It will not be strictly a home theater room. Can you give me some help on going about making a selection? Open to suggestions.

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Well, run yourself a search on "bose" here. I think this will very quickly outweigh what little information you've gathered so far.

I would strongly recommend you exit the chain stores, and find specialty dealers who carry good brands, and take a listen to various kinds of speakers in various priceranges. Everything you can possibly listen to, listen to it carefully with music that you know (bring your music with you, and a variety).

I always like to recommend Paradigm as an excellent starting place. Usually good dealers (not chains), excellent value, and a great way to begin searching.

3. Brian_PJ

Brian_PJ Auditioning

I got an all-in-one package a few months ago and have been very pleased with it. And I just saw that tweeter is having a $150 sale (ugh!!!). Go to tweeter.com and check out the Denon/Mirage package.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Since you seem to be asking for brand-specific information in building a complete system, I've moved your thread here to where it "fits" best. The Basics area is strictly for general discussion at the beginner level, not for seeking brand-specific advice. Thanks. JB

5. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

If you want to prewire, you should contact a local dealer. They will be able to give you precise advice and will be able to work with your contractor. There's also an H/T construction area you might want to look into on these forums.

Besides that, I suggest going around to all the local dealers you can and getting your head as full of ideas as possible, money firmly in pocket. That'll narrow down the field to what you like and what you can afford, and then we can help you further advising you on good pairings and what not...there is however, no substitute for auditioning...and patience. An informed decision pays of with years of rewards...