need a List for the SuperBit DVD's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Don, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Don

Don Second Unit

Jun 30, 1997
    ok i'm looking to buy some dvd's but with the superbits on them are these worth buying also how do you know if you got a superbit dvd compared to a normal one is there a list that i can get. Don,
  2. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

Nov 23, 1999
    The following titles have been released under the Superbit banner:

Desperado, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, The Fifth Element, Air Force One, Johnny Mnemonic, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Gattaca

All of these come in silver-looking packaging with a keepcase inside, except for Dracula and Gattaca (which are keepcases only). It should be fairly obvious which ones are Superbit, since the cover has the SUPERBIT logo.

As to whether they're worth buying, you'll hear different opinions on that. If you have less than a 27" television, I wouldn't bother getting them for the video quality, but the DTS track is nice to have. I have a 31" television, and I -CAN- tell a difference in the video. Here are my opinions on the discs I have:

The Fifth Element - Worth buying. Video quality is noticably superior to the regular version, and the DTS track seems to present a wider soundstage.

Air Force One - Not a huge difference in the video except for some improvement in shadow detail, but the DTS track makes the pans to the surrounds transition a bit smoother. Not different enough to upgrade from the regular version, but worth buying if you don't have it already.

Bram Stoker's Dracula - Video is improved, with some solid black level and shadow detail. However, it looks like the same source material was used, so don't expect miracles. The DTS track does sound far better than the regular version's DD.

Gattaca - There is a definite improvement in the video detail, in my opinion. The DTS track seems to have a bit more ambience than the regular version, but this not a surround-heavy title to begin with. The excellent score of the movie does sound much nicer (to my ears) with the DTS track. If you're a fan of the movie, it's worth having.