What's new

Need a laptop recomendation to view dvds on. (1 Viewer)

Mark Roger

Agent
Hello,

I am looking to buy a PC laptop w/ a dvd-rom.

Can someone recommend or suggest things to look for when purchasing (ie. best type of screen for viewing, proc, etc.)? Thanks in advance.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Go check out dells site and look at the inspirons. My brother bought a 4100 and loves it. My boss has an 8100. Its a tank but very fast. They aren't too expensive either. Just don't buy memory from dell. Select the lowest amount and then buy it from crucial.com

Jeff Engel

Stunt Coordinator
Kinda suspicious recomending a Dell coming from Austin:D
Serioulsy though, Dell makes the best laptops out there. They come with everykind of port you want or need, they are built well and run great. My buddy has a Inspiron 5000 and loved it so much he upgraded within in a year to the 8000 model. After he got his I had to upgrade mine too and also got an Inspiron 8000. I came from a gateway laptop and my Dell is 1000 times the computer. I actualu had two gateways, the first one had so many bugs I made them give me a newer version which was only slightly better. I hated both gateways and when I tested my friends Dell it convinced me to get one.
I also had a Compaq laptop which was okay when Dell's were alot more expensive. With the price of a Dell computer so low there should be no reason to not get one. If you want to see for yourself pick up any "PC MAG". Dell is consistently 1-2 on their picks of the top notebooks. I for one will never by anything but Dell laptops in the future.
Jeff

Christian Behrens

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Christian Behrens
You might also want to have a look at Apple's iBooks. They have some good run times on battery, if that's important.

-Christian

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
The Inspiron 8100 (or is it 8200 now) are a really good call when it comes to multimedia uses. Every connector under the sun, including SPDIF and S-video out, there is a firewire connector, dual USB ports... and most importantly, you can get them with the new kick-ass Mobility Radeon 7500 graphics chipset and really high-resolution screens, 1400x1050 or 1600x1200.

ATI chipsets usually do really well when playing back DVD, and the Radeon is also the fastest chipset for games available on laptops. Although the GeForce4Go chipset is an unknown quantity for me... I may be wrong on the speed issue.

I have an 8000 myself and couldn't be happier with it.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
I've been quite happy with the picture quality on my Dell Latitude 810, especially since loading TheaterTek on it. With both batteries installed I get over six hours of uninterrupted movie watching. Good stuff!

-greg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks