need a HT Receiver for around 200 bucks. What should I get?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Raj_asaurus, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Raj_asaurus

Raj_asaurus Stunt Coordinator

My first idea was the Yamaha HTR-5630, but then I saw the small size of the panasonic SA XR-25 and it kind of made me realize I dont necessarily have space. If much quality or ease of use is given up however I will make the sacrifice.

Anyone have any other suggestions? The HTR-5630 is about 160 and the panasonic is a little high for me but at 235 its doable.

Thanks!
    Raj
    [​IMG]

2. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

The Panny would be a great choice. You can also find the Panasonic SA-XR10 discounted for under $200. It is a great little receiver with the same "digital" amps that the SA-XR25 and SA-XR45 have (it retailed for over $500 a few years ago.)
    JP

3. Adam.Heckman

Adam.Heckman Second Unit

I just got a Denon 483 (discontinued) from 6ave on the 'net. I absolutely love it. Upgraded from a HTiB. I have had ZERO problems and am impressed with performance. It was 168 plus 6 cents for shipping. Great deal. Full warranty, they are an authorized dealer.
    I admit, it is definately an 'entry level' receiver, however, for under 200 you ain't getting much more!!

4. JamesGL

JamesGL Stunt Coordinator

Consider a JVC 7020.

I have seen it at etronics once for like $160.

5. Raj_asaurus

Whoa, where can you find the XR10? I cant find ANYWHERE besides 6ave and its 300 there.

6. John S

John S Producer

At Ecost, look at the Onkyo SR-501....

6.1, with great 6.1 processing, and component video switching...

Really impressive for the cost.

7. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

Take a look at the Harman/Kardon AVR-125 refurb., it has great features for an entry-level reciever and is going to offer a couple more audio inputs than that Yamaha model, especially digital in's.

At any rate I think it will be your best bet for them all. The Panasonic would be my choice though if you were not willing to budge.

8. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Why not simply post at the hardware page with a make me an offer type of sentiment (since you are buying and not selling you don't have to quote a fixed in stone price).

9. JimPeitersen

JimPeitersen Second Unit

www.rexstores.com has the SA-XR10 for $199, and they periodically have it bundled with the XP30 DVD player for about $350 (at least around here.)
    JP

10. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

This is pretty off-topic, but I've been trying to audition that Panasonic XR-25 whenever I've seen it paired with some decent speakers, but have yet to figure out how to access its set-up menu. Does anybody know how to do this? Thanks.

LJ

11. Raj_asaurus

anyoen know anything about the Pioneer VSX-D812K? I think this looks like it might be a more userfriendly option that will cost aroudn 230+ shipping.

Any takes on this item?

12. Joseph Shaw

Joseph Shaw Stunt Coordinator

Onkyo TX-SR501 at ecost.com. You will not find a HT receiver in that price range with the amount of features the Onkyo has. It is refurbished, but in some ways that can actually be better than new.

I bought one and it was $194 shipped to my door in 3 days. I'm absolutely blown away by the features for the cost, as comparably priced models from other manufacturers just don't come close. Can you name another receiver under $200 with the capability to switch HD component video (50Mhz bandwidht), 6.1 audio, and as many audio decoder formats as the? Even if you don't need HD component switching now, it's something you can use later and it gives the receiver some longevity to allow you to upgrade other components.

I honestly believe there isn't a better receiver in the sub-$200 price range at this time. It's a full size receiver, but it's a receiver that should still be relevant in the next few years.

Good luck with your search.