Need a Good Used CD Player for around $250

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by JustinP, Jun 13, 2003.

1. JustinP

JustinP Stunt Coordinator

I've been using a crappy Panasonic DVD-A105 as a CD/DVD player, and I'd really like to upgrade to a dedicated CD player. While SACD would be nice, I'm really looking for the best possible playback of Redbook CD's, since that's what I own primarily. I've also only got a two channel system at the moment, so that's a factor for consideration as well. I'd like to find something used around $250, with cheaper being better.

Out of curiosity, would a SACD/CD player (Sony 222es more specifically) provide equally good Redbook performance as a straight CD player (used) at the same price point? I know SACD is probably the format of the future, but I'd like the most enjoyment of what I have already.

For what it's worth, the rest of my system is as follows:

Denon AVR-3802
    Rotel RB-991 (200wpc x 2)
    Paradigm Studio 60's (v2)

2. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Justin, I'd go for the Sony 222ES. It might be your last chance to own a new audio-only SACD player for less than $2000? Norah Jones on hybrid-stereo-M/C SACD costs $13.99 same as the CD at Busted Buy presently. I'm sure you have a reasonable chance of finding a used player that may be a few small degrees better than the 222, but it may be well-worn? You might get an Elite PD-65 or one of the Rotel models from the last 5 years? I'd stille go SACD. Your equipment should exploit stereo SACD rather well. Best wishes from an SACD lover!

3. David S

David S Stunt Coordinator

I second Rachael's recommendation on the 222ES. I've had one for about 8 months ($359 new - Good Guys) and enjoy it for both CD and SACD. I also have a Marantz CD67SE/MSB Link DAC(Original Link DAC)set up, and the 222ES on Redbook is nearly as pleasing as this combo (grant it this combo only cost $500). I link the Link DAC a little better though as its low end and huge soundstage are impressive.

One other thing is obviously the 222ES is a 5 disc changer, and I'm not that found of changers. This player has a very smooth operation (time between discs is slow though), and when I listen outside (through 2nd zone system), no beating a changer (put in 5 Grateful Dead Dicks Picks and listen to a 10 hour live Dead show[​IMG]

4. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

i'll have to also recommend the 222es changer. i just picked one up for $260 used (was purchased new in January). redbook performance is very good plus you get SACD. I'd never heard SACD until now and i just love how effortless and smooth it is, i've fallen back in love with music.[​IMG]

5. Leo

Leo Second Unit

I'll also recommend the Sony SCD-C222ES SACD/CD player. I got one new for $300 (store clearance). Solid player, excellent build and sounds fantastic on SACD and redbook. I'm using it with a headphone amp and headphones by Grado. Just love it.

And just to add a bit more here, I had really gotten out of the mainstream of buying CD's because for the high price of the CD (with some disc only having a few songs I like) and for a time I went the route of just listening to MP3's. Then I stumbled upon SACD since I had recently completed my dedicated home theater project. I started out my dedicated music venture a while back by just using the redbook AMC CD8, Creek OBH-11 and Sennheiser HD-580 - because most times I wanted to listen to music while the spouse was asleep and lack of dedicated listening room. Also the speakers I wanted (Meadowlark Audio Kestrel's were out of my budget). Now I'm back into music full on and mainly with a headphone rig. It lets me get closer to my music and since my taste is fairly different from the wife (pop and some oldies for her; classic jazz, new wave, house and classic rock for me). I looked back at my SACD collection and see how quickly it's grown with great music that just sounds so good.

Picked up another gem today - Sam Cooke Portrait of A Legend 1951-1964. Can't wait to get home to fire up this disc to hear the SACD layer.

Enjoy the music.

6. Derek N

Derek N Agent

I have to agree with the guys here. I just bought a Sony Sony DVP-NS755V, a progressive scan DVD player. That was what I was in the market for but the SACD capability seemed like a nice bonus. While I realize that you are interested in a pure CD/SACD player of better quality, I wanted to second the pleasure of SACD. Listening to these SACDs on my new HK AVR-325 has really engaged me in listening to music again. Sounds a little funny but its like being introduced to music for the first time again. I can't recommend this route enough. I am even thinking of getting a dedicated player now.

Derek N

7. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

If you want just CD, then I would recommend the Sony XA-20ES. Uses the same CD platform as the famous XA7ES, but they are going for 250-300 used now. However, if you are looking to buy new and/or you are looking to get into SACD, the 222es is the best bet. Helluva machine for the price

8. mike_snazzy

mike_snazzy Extra

I highly recommend that you listen to the NAD 521i($250), 541i($350) and the cambridge audio d300($229) and d500 ($329). I have just purchased the 541i and Love it. Has almost tube like sound. I was also impressed with the d500 and 521i and thought they were excellent value for the money. I was less impressed with the d300. Check yawaonline.com for good deals on NAD. Good luck.