Need a good setup/calibration disc. Any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Rogers, Jul 17, 2002.

1. Jeff Rogers

Jeff Rogers Second Unit

With Simpsons seas. 2 and Lord Of The Rings coming out on 8/6 I am throwing a massive all day long festival and want things to be close to perfect. Any ideas? Something not too expensive?[​IMG] Thank you in advance

2. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Avia $30
    Radio Shack analogue SPL meter $35

Calibrated system: priceless, no wait, $65

3. Rick Wilson

Rick Wilson Stunt Coordinator

Where can you get Avia for $30?

4. Daniel J

Daniel J Stunt Coordinator

In Canada, no less?

5. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

Sound and Vision Home Theater Tune-Up is a good solution for calibration and can be had for only 15 bucks.

6. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

I'm not sure how much you would need calibration for the Simpsons... Do you want Homer looking his yellowist? [​IMG] Although I admit that they look 50 times better on the DVDs, the Simpsons still isn't a good thing to judge picture quality with. Your festival does sound good though, I can bring some chips if you invite me [​IMG]
    I picked up Avia for $35 with free shipping a few months ago, but that offer is probably long gone. Sorry.

7. BrianS

BrianS Stunt Coordinator

I just got an HDTV & I want to get the best calibration disc for it. I have video essentials but it seems kinda out of date (and mainly for a 4:3).

I see that many say the Sound & Vision disc is virtually the same as the AVIA disc. Has anyone done a true comparision of the two? Is one disc missing stuff that I would need or are the same? Is there another disc that would be better for me than the S&V or AVIA?

I plan on getting it professionally calibrated but have been told that you need to do some of the stuff now as you break the TV in. Thanks for any help!

8. Chris Purvis

Chris Purvis Stunt Coordinator

Avia is certainly comprehensive. I've never seen the S&V disc but I doubt it has quite as much depth as avia.

One of the nice things about avia is it has a lot of good tutorials on it for basic setup which really explain what you are adjusting and why you are adjusting it. In addition it comes with color filters you use while making adjustments which help in getting your color adjustments as close to the NTSC refecences as possible without using a colorimeter.

It also has a lot of test patterns useful for a more advanced user or a tech. If you think you might ever monkey around in your set's service menu or if you have a front projection system Avia is really the only way to go.

9. Duncan Jones

Duncan Jones Extra

www.widescreenreview.com do a 2 disc DVD setup for audio and picture setting. This includes a DVD Rom section with 2,000 movie reviews. Cost $35.95 for USA delivery.
    Have fun [​IMG]