Need a good Hi-Fi Integrated Amp for less then $500.00?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Tim_, Apr 18, 2005.

1. Tim_

Tim_ Stunt Coordinator

Had a disasterous weekend with my MB Quart S830 when team up with my Yamaha RX-V650. It souded horrible. I took it back to the dealer and they went thru a great deal convincing me that there is nothing wrong with it except my Receiver wasn't set up right. The pros there show me some hidden menu in Yahama that only show up when I hook up the Monitor out to my TV. They also recommended that I might to go with a true Hi-Fi integrated receiver like NAD C320BEE instead of the 7.1 receiver running in 2 channel mode.

At the show room the same speaker that is hook up to a NAD C320BEE with some Cheap All region DVD player and its sounded amazing with nice Bass extension.

I went home and locate the Speaker set up the pros was refering to and made the speaker size changes from Small to Large. It still not sounded right. I then discover there is a speaker distance setting, I then set it to 18 feet instead of the 10 feet default. This speaker distance setting had a dramatic effect on them. Its sounded a lot nicer after I let it run for 20 minutes. But still not as good as when my speaker running on NAD C320BEE in the showroom.

So, My question here are :
    1) do I really need to replace my 3 days old Yamaha RX-V650? And
    2) what are the good Hi-Fi Integrated Amp out there for under $500.00?

2. Tim Hoover

Tim Hoover Screenwriter

That particular NAD is supposed to be one of the best bargain integrateds around...for a few more choices, check out the other thread about Cambridge Audio, a company that also makes some kickass integrateds [​IMG]

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The OSD is not something for the "PROS", it is intended for you to use to setup your receiver correctly and easily. Only the lowest models tend to not have this in recent receivers.

Well, I think you may have answered your own question - the NAD C320BBE is a damn fine unit and can be had for around $300 used.

FYI, any decent integrated will likely sound better than most < $1K receivers.

4. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

When listening in stereo mode with no sub active, changing the speaker distance setting on both mains from 10 to 18 feet should make no audible difference. If it does, then there is something wrong with the digital circuitry in the Yamaha.

Try bypassing all Yamaha digital processing. Make a stereo RCA analog connection with your player and listen in "direct" mode.

5. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Cambridge Audio, NAD, Rotel and Arcam are your best bets for integrated amps around your budget (though you might have to stretch a tad for the latter two brands or go used).