What's new

Need a fast recommendation for a Windows laptop for friend (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If all you need is IE then yeah, Parallels. But I recommend you quit any company or service that only supports IE in 2013. Seriously, if they don't give a shit about their product why should you?
It's not that simple. I'm not quitting my job over their choice of a teleconferencing website.My friend is an independent consultant who must use a variety of outside B2B services dictated by his clients. He's not going to refuse their business over a browser issue, he's going to buy a PC with IE.I can't recommend Parallels merely to run IE. it's too much technical trouble, cost, battery life killer. I have no idea if chrome or Firefox work with his sites. My experiences suggest that won't fix it.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
ManW_TheUncool said:
I guess I'd most likely just go w/ a Dell XPS something Ultrabook, if I was in the market for something like that... Or maybe whatever IBM or Lenovo offers in that category now...
_Man_
I'll pass it along. I wish I had time to ask my Microsoftie neighbor. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Second verse, same as the first...Any noteable new Windows 8.1 laptops, since the new intel chips came out?Dad needs a new laptop. 13" SSD. Good battery life. MS office and Windows Remote Desktop / VPN are main uses. Keyboard necessary. Touchscreen desired, but not necessary. May also run some specialty accounting websites (the sort that only work in IE on Windows).I can't make heads or tails of Windows Surface line (my dad thinks he wants the 'new Windows 8 computer'), or MS laptop summary site, or Dell.com.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Windows 8 is a nice step up. One of the home builders I work with put everybody on a Surface. Except for certain esoteric programs(they don't use everyday anyway) it works fine.I wouldn't recommend Surface, yet, as a dedicated computer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks