What's new

Need a DVD Player (1 Viewer)

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Well I guess its about time I get a real dvd player (Using Xbox).

I have a 47" Panny (No DVI Input)
and was thinking about getting one of these upscalling DVD players. I've read things that say the upscalling players are really only beneficial for LCD, Plasma, dlp type, but I've also read that it improves the image on CRT style RPTV's. So what is the truth?

Should I just go with a basic Prog Scan DVD player with DCDi/faroudja technology or should I still be considering these Upscalling units. OR should I wait because something really cool is coming out in the next month or 2.

Don_Berg

Supporting Actor
For now, I'd recommend the top-rated Panasonic XP30 Faroujda-based player. The current upconverting player models all have some limitations, I'd wait until the bugs are ironed out on those type players - maybe the next generation models.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
That depends on if you consider the "limitations" to be an issue or not. For some the lower picture quality that would get with a non upscaling player is a limitation.

The new Denon players are getting close to release but who knows what they will do.

It also depends on what your budget is as well and if you require Dvd-Audio and SACD or not and if you want a changer.

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator
Also, keep in mind that only a handful of the upscaling players do so through component. Most only scale the image via DVI/HDMI.

MuneebM

Supporting Actor
Since you don't have a DVI input, I highly recommend the LG DV7832 (Canadian model) or Zenith DVB318 (US model). It's 1080i upscaling over component is very good. I use the LG on my Toshiba 50H82 which also does not have DVI and I saw a noticeable improvement with the LG @ 1080i over component compared to my previous Toshiba DVD player @ 480p over component.

http://66.46.69.23/sigserv/pl/index.pl?p=5
My DVD Collection

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I read quite a few of the threads and articles on the Upscalling players but there still seems to be quite a bit of gray area left with the CRT style RPTV's and whether its really beneficial for all of them.

I don't use it for anything other than Movies. I like the idea of waiting. For now i'll just get a basic player to get me through, maybe that improvement will be enough for me.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Bill,

I've read the entire 2000+ post thread on the Zenith over at AVS and own one myself. From what I've digested this player actually works best with a CRT based set, either rptv or direct view. That's the type of set I have and I see few if any of the reported "shortcomings" on mine.

If, as you say, your primary interest is movies and not 4/3 video based material you have made an excellent choice.

Jay Blair

Second Unit
I agree that the upscaling players do a great job at 1080i component using CRT RPTV. I have a Sony RPTV used with a Momitsu V880 and the picture is far superior to any 480 player I've tried, including a few $700 + players.

The Zenith is a good player for letterboxed material, but if you have 4:3 DVDs, the Momitsu would be much better because it will properly display 4:3 material. It also comes already region free.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Yeah all my movies except for the original Dune :angry: are widescreen.

They couldn't get it to me today and i'd have to of paid an extra $30 to get it Saturday, I decided on getting it Thursday next week and the cost was mid $160.

So we'll see next weekend how much of an improvement the PQ is over the XBOX :b

Thanks for the help guys

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Bill,

The original Dune is widescreen, it's just not anamorphic.

The Zenith can handle non-anamporphic widescreen very well as it can do an infinitely variable vertical-only zoom.

A non-anamorphic widescreen movie displayed with the tv in it's Full mode will fill the screen side to side but look vertically squashed--everything will be short and fat. With the Zenith you press the zoom button on the remote 3 times to enable the variable zoom, then press the "up" button on the remote to stretch the picture in the vertical dimension only until it's properly proportionned.

I've watched several non-anamorphic widescreen films this way and the results are excellent. This would also work for 4/3 stuff but of course the top and bottom of the picture will expand right off the screen.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
Hmm looking forward to trying that, PLayer should come in Thursday. Thanks guys, hopefully I will be as impressed as yall.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks