What's new

Need a DVD player between $200 - $300. Any suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
I'd like to start upgrading my meager HT, & I've decided that the 1st two things to go will be my current receiver & DVD player.
The player is what I'm looking at 1st. I currently have a samsung 739 (don't knock it..it was a free permanant loaner) :)
But,it's time is past, & I'd like to upgrade. I currently don't have a HD/TV w/component inputs - I am using S-Video currrently. I will be,of course upgrading in the next year or so.
So if you have any suggestions,please let me know!
I go shopping later this week :D
Calvin

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Calvin, here are some players to consider (in no particular order):

* Toshiba SD-4700 or '5700: Both offer progressive-scan video output and DVD-Audio playback. The '5700 also offers HDCD decoding. If looks are important to you, the '4700 is black and the '5700 is silver. Brick-and-mortar stores generally sell the '4700 for $250 and the '5700 for $300. You might be able to do better by mail (J&R Music World or OneCall, for example).

* JVC XV-SA70BK/SA75GD: These players offer progressive-scan video output and DVD-Audio playback, as well as playback of MP3-encoded CDs. The 'SA70BK is black and the 'SA75GD is gold. You should be able to score one of these player for $250 or less.

* Panasonic DVD-RP56: This player offers progressive-scan output and playback of MP3-encoded CDs, but not DVD-Audio. You can get it for $230 at Best Buy. Panasonic progressive-scan players get very high marks for picture quality.

* Panasonic DVD-RA60: This is an interlaced player (not progressive scan), but plays DVD-Audio discs and MP3 CDs. It sells for $200 nowadays and is available in black or silver.

* Sony DVP-NS700P: A standard progressive-scan DVD player. No DVD-Audio (Sony isn't supporting the format), no SACD, and no MP3 CD playback. It comes in silver and sells for $300 in stores.

* Sony DVP-NS500V: This is an interlaced player, but it plays SACDs. Best Buy and other stores sell it for $230.

Hope this helps. Best of luck in your search.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks