Need a DVD player between $200 - $300. Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Calvin Watts III, Apr 1, 2002.

1. Calvin Watts III

Calvin Watts III Supporting Actor

Mar 7, 2001
    I'd like to start upgrading my meager HT, & I've decided that the 1st two things to go will be my current receiver & DVD player.
    The player is what I'm looking at 1st. I currently have a samsung 739 (don't knock was a free permanant loaner) [​IMG]
    But,it's time is past, & I'd like to upgrade. I currently don't have a HD/TV w/component inputs - I am using S-Video currrently. I will be,of course upgrading in the next year or so.
    So if you have any suggestions,please let me know!
    I go shopping later this week [​IMG]
  2. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mar 28, 2000
    Calvin, here are some players to consider (in no particular order):

* Toshiba SD-4700 or '5700: Both offer progressive-scan video output and DVD-Audio playback. The '5700 also offers HDCD decoding. If looks are important to you, the '4700 is black and the '5700 is silver. Brick-and-mortar stores generally sell the '4700 for $250 and the '5700 for $300. You might be able to do better by mail (J&R Music World or OneCall, for example).

* JVC XV-SA70BK/SA75GD: These players offer progressive-scan video output and DVD-Audio playback, as well as playback of MP3-encoded CDs. The 'SA70BK is black and the 'SA75GD is gold. You should be able to score one of these player for $250 or less.

* Panasonic DVD-RP56: This player offers progressive-scan output and playback of MP3-encoded CDs, but not DVD-Audio. You can get it for $230 at Best Buy. Panasonic progressive-scan players get very high marks for picture quality.

* Panasonic DVD-RA60: This is an interlaced player (not progressive scan), but plays DVD-Audio discs and MP3 CDs. It sells for $200 nowadays and is available in black or silver.

* Sony DVP-NS700P: A standard progressive-scan DVD player. No DVD-Audio (Sony isn't supporting the format), no SACD, and no MP3 CD playback. It comes in silver and sells for $300 in stores.

* Sony DVP-NS500V: This is an interlaced player, but it plays SACDs. Best Buy and other stores sell it for $230.

Hope this helps. Best of luck in your search.