Need a DVD mega-changer.

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Norris, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Norris

Norris Stunt Coordinator

Can anybody recommend one? I've had a Sony CX875P, and just got rid of it. I'm sick of the very slow access time, and stupid user interface. I found the Pioneer F07 and Pioneer F727, both are more expensive than the Sony. I don't know how fast they are though, with regards to accessing the discs. I really don't care about inputting title and the picture of each DVD, I do a print out list. There doesn't seem to be much choice for DVD mega changers out there. Onkyo doesn't make them anymore.

Thanks,

2. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I have the 875 and the new 777ES and it's much faster and better than the 875.
    GUI is much better also but I never used it on the 875 and never put cds into it where speed is more of a concern

3. Norris

Norris Stunt Coordinator

Where and when did you get the 777ES? Approximate price? I never use the 875P for CDs, I was referring to DVDs only. My complaint is about how long it takes for the machine to get to the DVD I want, spinning all the way around twice, and many times just gives me an error message "Disc is too dirty". I know the disc is not dirty, because it was just played the day before, and was not taken out of the machine.

Thanks,

4. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

As you stated, there isn’t much choice for mega-Changers. I use the Sony CX777ES with Cinemar’s DVD Lobby and the RS-232 plugin to control the interface, it’s fantastic. No changer has a good interface IMO, all are severely deficient, and none are fast loaders either. A third party interface is the only good solution as far as I’m concerne. Having all you DVD artwork in a thumbnail format where you just click on the DVD cover to begin play is the best way to interface IMO. The Sony has only one flaw that I can think of, and that’s layer change, very slow (2 sec). Other then that I highly recommend this unit with it’s RS232 interface hooked to a computer for disc selection.

5. Norris

Norris Stunt Coordinator

I just ordered the CX777ES last night. Can't wait! Can you elaborate a little about the Cinemar's DVD Lobby? What is it? Software or hardware? How does it work? Any link to this product? And the RS232 connection explanation?

Thanks a lot!

6. Scott.H

Scott.H Auditioning

I bought my 777ES from ABT (authorized dealer) for $630 shipped. They have them for $649 shipped and use the code DISCOVER3OFF for another 3% off. You can get the non ES version (CX985V) for about $300ish.

HTH,

Scott

7. Norris

Norris Stunt Coordinator

What's the difference between the 777ES and the CX985? The specs appear to be the same, at least as far as I could tell. Anyways, I read that the 985 is plagued by the same slow access problem as my 875, so I passed. Instead I got the 777ES for $574 shipped. I read that the 777ES is faster than the 985.

Thanks,

8. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Norris:

Cinemar's DVD Lobby is a software program that you would run on a PC and you would control your 777ES from the RS232 port of your computer.

Parker

9. Norris

Norris Stunt Coordinator

I went to Cinemar's website and read about DVD Lobby 3.0 but am still a bit confused. :b They show a screen shot of the GUI, is that on a PC monitor? If so, then the PC has to be in the same room as the TV? Unless the GUI is on a handheld remote with a nice color display, I don't think this is it though.

Thanks,

10. Scott.H

Scott.H Auditioning

Norris,

Just curious, did you get that $574 shipped from an authorized dealer? I saw it in that range and less from many unauthorized dealers but thought I better spend a little extra and go authorized in case I ever need warranty work (gotta love that 5 year ES warranty that the 985 doesn't have). I've read that Sony won't do warranty work on units bought from non authorized dealers.

I've owned lots of Sony equipment over the years and have always found the ES stuff much better than the non ES offerings. I saw the 777ES and 985 in person and the ES is definitely built better (not that the 985 is bad). FWIW, I didn't listen to them but played around with the controls and the ES seemed more quiet and faster accessing discs.

Scott

11. Norris

Norris Stunt Coordinator

Scott,
    I don't know if it's an authorized dealer or not, but it's shipped already, and will get to my house next week. The place I got it from is idealav.com

12. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I can understand that.
    I Downloaded the trial version and was expecting after installation it would work.
    You need to 'build' the GUI which has a lot of possibility but it was more time than I wanted to put into it.
    Has some great features like importing DVD Profiler which I have all my DVDs in already.
    Maybe it's changed since I did it near Xmas but it looked like a lot of work on top of the money

13. Mike Keith

Mike Keith Second Unit

No, you should not have to build the interface; it's all there. You do need to input all the DVD info via the Internet, which takes some time depending on the size of your collection. The interface you might need to build in the future is a home page that will have links to the different Lobby scenes, like Music Lobby and XM Lobby. IF you only have DVD Lobby then you need not build any interface, just tell main lobby to boot up to DVD Lobby scene as default. You also have to configure the transport controls for the 777ES, very easy though.

I did my collection of about 200 DVD’s in about 3 days, it took weeks to get all my music ripped though, much more work for Music Lobby then DVD Lobby, but well worth it once your done. Keeping up once you got your collection in there is a snap, only takes about 1 min to do a movie.