What's new

Need a DSP (DTS,PL2,DG) for my three NAD 218thxs. (1 Viewer)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Not much in terms of true stand-along Pre-Pros. Most people looking for a Pre-Pro in this price range use a receiver. The Yamaha 1400 would be an excelent choice at around $550 online. A HK 325 would be another god choice. A Denon 2803 would also be a very good choice. One the lower end of the price scale look at the Pioneer D912K.

Rogozhin

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you both for the imput.

I have 3 NAD 218 THX amps and don't want to use a cheapie AV reciever-I might have to extend the budget ;)

rogo

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
In most cases receiver manufacturers cut corners to keep costs down. Usually alot more corners are cut on amplification than processing. You would really be suprised at the processing that midlevel receivers have. Once you expand the budget up to $800 the Outlaw is pretty much the only way to go in terms of true pre-pros until you get into the $1500 range. Don't think the processing is compromised just because it's in a receiver. For example the Rotel 1055 has the EXACT same processing as the 1066 pre-pro but adds 5 channels of amplification. The 1055 also COSTS LESS than the 1066.

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
for $500 range, you can look at either trying to get a used 950 (or maybe a b-stock, but its not that much cheaper)

or maybe a H$K 520/525, thats a pretty good pre/pro...

Stephen, I agree that the Rotel is a good example.

Rich

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Since he's not going to be using the amplification the 320 or 325 would be just as good for use as a pre-pro.

Rogozhin

Stunt Coordinator
Okay, so what your paying for in the AV receivers is basically the quality of the amplification and NOT the quality of the processing-is that fairly accurate?

If that is the case then I'll just go for a good R with low wattage rating but with good processing.

Great advice you guys-If I come into more money unexpectedly I'll be goint the NAD t-163 route ;)

rogo

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks