1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Need a decent Adcom pre/pro

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron-P, Jun 24, 2002.

1. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Once I land my 4th Adcom GFA-535 I will be looking for the above. Just not sure what to look for. I'd like to stick with Adcom.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

2. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Ron,

FWIW I'm an Adcom owner and I don't think they've ever made a decent HT pre/pro unit. They often seem to be a step or two behind the industry, I recommend looking elsewhere. Since Outlaw seems to be having so many problems getting their units out the door, maybe Rotel or the soon to be released Sherwood.

3. PhillipC

PhillipC Stunt Coordinator

The Adcom GFp-750 would be your best bet. It's a Stereophile Class A recommendation

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Personally I would avoid the Adcom pre/pros. Now as far as the newer features, you will get none of those.

I'm not even certain the newer adcom's have DTS for that matter.

5. Drew Eckhardt

Drew Eckhardt Stunt Coordinator

I had an Adcom pre-tuner (the 500II) which made things sound gritty. Their first AC-3 preamp/processor (the GTP750?) was not impressive from a sonic (it was noisy) or feature perspective. While I love my four GFA 545II amps (bought one new) and like my GCD-700 changer (got that one new too), I'll conceed that quality is not consistant throughout the product line.

The GFP750 is a recommended component; although it's also an analog-only two-channel preamp which isn't very interesting for home-theater use.

As long as you're on the used equipment binge, try a Lexicon. Logic-7 5.1/DTS is a quantum improvement over standard decoding. The loudness control (Fletcher-Munson based) and dynamic compression work very well at low volumes. Two channel performance may not be up to audiophile standards, although even DC-1 DACs beat the GCD-700 and Denons/Sonys/Nakamichis of the same vintage (this is more subjective).

6. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Thanks guys, had no idea Adcom was behind the times. Guess I'll be looking elsewhere. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

7. Joseph_W

Joseph_W Stunt Coordinator

Ron,
    Don't quit on me! I didn't buy my Mits until you were happy with yours, and I finally picked the JVC S65 after you did your side by side comparison with Panasonic (? I forgot).

Anyway, I'm looking for a receiver/amp/pre-pro and I'm waiting for you to make up your mind! Just kidding.

What about a decent receiver (Denon 3802?) mixed with some decent power amps for the front three speakers, at least. Or maybe the Outlaw 950 or the Rotel 1066.

Sounds like you at least have a start on the power amps. That's a lot more than I have done. Keep us all informed and good luck!

Joe

8. Greg Haynes

Greg Haynes Supporting Actor

Ron,

Do you know how much you want to spend? Do you care for 7.1 or DPLII? I'm sure we can find the perfect pre/pro for you.

9. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I have decided to keep the Marantz for now. All I am really looking for is dd/dts decoding (just 5.1). I have that in my Marantz and do not feel I will gain much by changing it out with a pre/pro. After all, itsn't a pre/pro a receiver with out the onboard amps? 6.1/7.1 DPLII, I do not need or want at this time or down the road. I am completely happy with my 5.1. There just is not enough software above 5.1 to warrent the cost upgrade.
    So Joseph, how do you like the Mits and JVC combo? You happy?
    Thanks for the feedback guys.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

10. Joseph_W

Joseph_W Stunt Coordinator

11. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

12. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor