What's new

Need a Crash-Course in Video Capture Cards... (1 Viewer)

Andrew Beckmen

Stunt Coordinator
In a few weeks (hopefully) I am going to have my friend build me a computer for video editing. He knows computers, but doesn't know Capture Cards and neither do I. I know it needs to have FireWire, RF and Composite Video Ins. My freind had a computer for editing and the Composite Ins/RF ins didn't capture sound, it was really crappy. So that is a concern of mine. Also, I am unsure what's what in this area...

As always, thanks for the help...

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I just put a 2-input firewire card in, then ran my analog signals through a digital camcorder using Ulead Videostudio. Works for me.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
What's your budget?

A bigger budget (>$150) will get you something easy to use like the Canopus ADVC-55. All your audio and video inputs are right there. No RF though.

A more conservative pricepoint will get you a standard software-based capture card. The two popular chipsets are the Philips SAA713x and the Conextant 878A.

The Hauppauge PVR-150 provides even better quality than those two but AFAIK it only records to mpeg-2, which is no good for post-production if you plan on working with the captures in an editing program.

With all choices except the first one it would be ideal to feed the sound to the line in port of a dedicated sound card. And none of these options provide a spare Firewire port, have to get that card separately.

Andrew Beckmen

Stunt Coordinator
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...&Sku=T777-1020

I like the look/set-up of this. I do plan on using an editing program, so I guess it needs to output something that is capable. I am a real newbie, though. I logged a lot of time with Pinnacle 8 or 9 and a DV cam via FireWire (my roomie had them and I got addicted to Hobby DV Film-Making), but not anything else in this world of Video Editing...

My main editing will be via FireWire and a DV camera, though. I only need the analogue capabilities to transfer some old tapes and allow my freinds to do the same.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Hey that looks great. :) Nice find, seems to do it all.

Doesn't look like it converts analog video to DV on the fly (like the Canopus does) since I see the big fat Conextant chip on there. But you can still capture analog to something lossless like HuffYUV so it will still work flawlessly in editing programs.

The Firewire use for your digital videocam should be hassle-free. (Firewire's firewire)

If you decide to go for it I think you'll like it. Turtle Beach owners really seem to love their hardware.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks