Need a Command & Conquer or RTS game (PC) recommendation for a 12 year old.

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by John Pine, Jan 14, 2005.

1. John Pine

John Pine Supporting Actor

John Pine
    My twelve-year-old son can’t stop playing Age of Mythology and AOE II. I'm trying to come up with another RTS game that might interest him and Command & Conquer came to mind from my old RTS gaming days. The game MUST have a difficulty level adjustment option, as he normally plays on Easy or Normal. Also, need a game with graphics similar to Age or Mythology or AOEII. Any suggestions?

2. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

If you have an Xbox you could try the new Kingdoms Under Fire game. Check the review on gamespot.com!

3. Aaron Schmitt

Aaron Schmitt Stunt Coordinator

If he likes the Age games, try Rise of Nations. That game has a similar feel to it, in that you're building up from ancient civs to modern times, but it just plays better to me. It has difficulty settings, a "Risk mode" that is very similar to the board game risk (you have a "turn" and play typical RTS style during that "turn"), and online play if you let your son do that. I think you can pick up the gold edition that includes the expansion pack for about 30 bucks too, so it's not a bad deal.

Aaron

4. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

My 9 year old son loves Starcraft, Warcraft and Rise of Nations. He also played Battle for Middle Earth. Nice thing about these games is that we sometimes play on our LAN against computers players.

5. John Pine

John Pine
    Max: My boys have a PS2, but not an Xbox. I've seen Command & Conquer Red Alert for the PS2, I wonder if it's any good.

Aaron: "Rise of Nations"? Not familiar with that one. I'll check it out, thanks!

Eric: Now I've certainly heard of WarCraft, being a big Diablo fan. So WarCraft and StarCraft both have difficulty level adjustments?

6. Joe D

Joe D Supporting Actor

Warcraft 3 has a difficulty level adjustment, normal and hard.

Warcraft 2, 3 and Starcraft aren't too hard as long as you stay away from the expansion packs. Warcraft 2's expansion pack is just brutal, Warcraft 3's only has a couple of REALLY hard missions, and I couldn't beat the final 4 missions on the Starcraft expansion set.

Those are the best RTS games, I much prefered these than the Command and Conquer games, which are pretty good but I prefer the fantasy aspect.

7. Craig Cole

Craig Cole Auditioning

How about C&C Generals? Battle for Middle Earth is also pretty good.

8. John Pine

John Pine
    Joe & Craig: Already bought him a used copy of Rise of Nations, but thanks guys!

9. Aaron Schmitt

Aaron Schmitt Stunt Coordinator

John: What does your son think of Rise of Nations? Has he had much chance to play it yet?

10. John Pine

John Pine
    Aaron: He likes it! I bought that one for him because it had aspects of the old board game Risk. Risk and monopoly were my favorite games when I was a kid. I thought he would find the "Protect Your Borders" aspect a little different than AOEII. I also liked the fact that it wasn’t a fantasy game like WarCraft. Maybe he’d learn a little history as well. He really learned a lot of history from AOEII. He loved AOEII so much he pestered me for weeks to help him build a “Trebuchet”. With the help of the other Webelos in his Scouting den, we built a 30” replica-using internet plans. It could fire golf balls over 100’! Good call on Rise of Nations Aaron! Thx!