Need a cheap decent HDTV

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Mark Riley, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Mark Riley

Mark Riley Agent

I don't have a definitive budget now but I definitely need it to be well under 1000. I want HD Built In and for it to be about 30 inches Widescreen since the tv I currently have is 27 inches Full Screen. I saw the Philips 30PW9100D for 799.99 and that seems good but I don't know if it is worth it. Not many reviews available for the TV. I'd be using it with my Sony STR-DE 598 receiver, some KLH speakers, and I would hook my Playstation 2 and/or Gamecube to it which I would need to buy component cables for.

1) Is this a good deal?
    2) Is there anything better for the price?
    3) Would I hook the PS2 to the receiver or the TV. They both have component in. The TV would be easier for me but I want sound from the speakers, not the TV.

EDIT: I found a possibly better TV that I'm really liking. Zenith C30W46. My friend told me great things about Zenith so I'm rethinking the Philips

2. John S

John S Producer

This is where I purchased my 60" Philips, 2 years and going strong.

http://www.electronicsalley.com/shop...f6e93dc32d26d8

Free shipping on the 30" models.

Best of luck.

PS: The link didn't really work, check out the 30"'r under specials.

That does seem a good deal on that particular model though in your post.

3. Mark Riley

Mark Riley Agent

Thanks for the link but I'm a stickler for buying things brand new... except video game cartridges but I'm afraid of having a problem with a refurb. I don't know if I should go with the Philips or the Zenith.

The plus on the Zenith is that the place near my house that can order it includes setup, delivery(it's only 2 streets but still), an extended warranty(whatever that exactly means), and a full year free upgrade to the Cox HD Box since I already have digital cable.

4. Mark Riley

Mark Riley Agent

I also saw a Best Buy brand Insignia one for much cheaper(349 bucks). It's only 26 inch but it's so much cheaper. IS-TV040927 is the model. I'm kinda weary about it. Anyone have luck with the brand?

5. John S

John S Producer

4:3 material just gets to small in size widescreen to me. I'm all about maximun screen size.

I'd rather buy the Philips factory refurb than anything smaller myself, but that is only because I was and still am so happy with my purchase.

Philips has a way good and inexpensive factory extended warranty available too for these refurbished displays, they send you the offer after you send in the warranty card.

I think it was $179 for three years on my 60". I didn't get it though, knock on wood. [​IMG]