What's new

Need a cheap decent HDTV (1 Viewer)

Mark Riley

Agent
I don't have a definitive budget now but I definitely need it to be well under 1000. I want HD Built In and for it to be about 30 inches Widescreen since the tv I currently have is 27 inches Full Screen. I saw the Philips 30PW9100D for 799.99 and that seems good but I don't know if it is worth it. Not many reviews available for the TV. I'd be using it with my Sony STR-DE 598 receiver, some KLH speakers, and I would hook my Playstation 2 and/or Gamecube to it which I would need to buy component cables for.

1) Is this a good deal?
2) Is there anything better for the price?
3) Would I hook the PS2 to the receiver or the TV. They both have component in. The TV would be easier for me but I want sound from the speakers, not the TV.

EDIT: I found a possibly better TV that I'm really liking. Zenith C30W46. My friend told me great things about Zenith so I'm rethinking the Philips

Mark Riley

Agent
Thanks for the link but I'm a stickler for buying things brand new... except video game cartridges but I'm afraid of having a problem with a refurb. I don't know if I should go with the Philips or the Zenith.

The plus on the Zenith is that the place near my house that can order it includes setup, delivery(it's only 2 streets but still), an extended warranty(whatever that exactly means), and a full year free upgrade to the Cox HD Box since I already have digital cable.

Mark Riley

Agent
I also saw a Best Buy brand Insignia one for much cheaper(349 bucks). It's only 26 inch but it's so much cheaper. IS-TV040927 is the model. I'm kinda weary about it. Anyone have luck with the brand?

John S

Senior HTF Member
4:3 material just gets to small in size widescreen to me. I'm all about maximun screen size.

I'd rather buy the Philips factory refurb than anything smaller myself, but that is only because I was and still am so happy with my purchase.

Philips has a way good and inexpensive factory extended warranty available too for these refurbished displays, they send you the offer after you send in the warranty card.

I think it was $179 for three years on my 60". I didn't get it though, knock on wood. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks