1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Need a center speaker

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Terry Wysocki, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Terry Wysocki

Terry Wysocki Stunt Coordinator

I have a Denon 5800 receiver 7.1 and was hoping I could do a "simulated" center speaker using the two fronts. Is this possible/recommended? If not, I'd really like something small (preferably only a few inches high) to fit in with the decor but not so small that my existing Sonance speakers overpower it. Any recommendations?

2. Christian Dolan

Christian Dolan Stunt Coordinator

Terry,

It is highly recommended to always use a center for surround playback for a number of reasons, not the least of which is bandwidth alleviation for your front mains.

As for which speaker, it is also highly recommende to have a center that matches your mains as closely as possible (having three identical speakers is best, although not always practical). Try to find something that is "voice matched" to your mains, so that you maintain timbral consistancy across the front soundstage.

Hope this helps,

Christian

3. Zbigniew

Zbigniew Stunt Coordinator

The ultimate answer...

It depends.

If majority of your listening is HT/Movies/TV, then you are better off with a dediczted center speaker, hopefully from this same manufacturer as your main speakers to keep sound timbre consistent. Why you need it ? Because majority of sound is coming from center speaker (dialog, lot of effects).

If majority of your listening is to music, like from CD/vinyl/satellite/FX, then you can get by with phantom center - the source is 2 channel by nature, so any further processing is adding/recreating sounds.

I do use center channel for HT; but I do not have a center channel for music, instead having 6 speaker system for living room. Works like a charm, and saves me hassle of installation of a speaker on/in front of fireplace (we do use it on a regular basis).

If you can get a matching speaker to your mains, get it and try it. If you like it - great; if not, then sell it.

_zjt