need a center channel recommendation

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by tonyKwok, Apr 11, 2005.

1. tonyKwok

tonyKwok Stunt Coordinator

I am looking to finally dump my cheap center channel and upgrade to something more decent. My current setup is as follows:

Mains: Sansui S81U
    center: cheapo Fisher (I don't even know what model number it is)
    Surrounds: AR 2052
    Sub: Dayton 10"
    receiver: Denon AVR-1905

I know when getting a center channel, it should match the mains. But unfortunately, I don't think Sansui is in business anymore these days. The mains are still working perfectly. I'm not sure where to even start to look for a new center channel. My budget is to stay under $200. I saw someone here mention the JBL EC35 as a "budget" center, but how can I know if that will match my mains? My listening habit is 50/50 (DVD/games). I'm not concerned with trying to get a center that will sound great in any listening position. My wife and I are the only ones who will be sitting at the "sweet spot". Can anyone give me some starting suggestion?

thanks
    tony

2. John S

John S Producer

This is a toss up....

Without the center, the center is summed between the two fronts, everything is perfectly timber matched.

With a center, you get a descreet center but way not timber matched. Tough call. Get a Center from astore that has liberal return policy, experiment as to which really sounds best overall.

I wouldn't go for a center that has less than a 6" low driver. and be pushing for an 8" actually.

If those Sansui speakers are anything like I remember, they are totally beef with larger low end drivers.

3. tonyKwok

tonyKwok Stunt Coordinator

John:

The Sansui has the following:

3" Tweeter
    4" Midrange
    10" Woofer

Freq range: 32 - 22,000 Hz

But since I'm setting them as "small" in my setup w/ a 60Hz x-over to the sub, would I still need a something as big as a 6" low drive on the newer center?

Tony

4. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Given this, I don't think it's a toss-up... a center image from your two matching mains will likely sound better than a mismatched center. So long as you get the sweet-spot, I'd argue this is your best option.

But if you're dead-set on getting a center, I'd find one that matches a set of new mains that you prefer and will eventually upgrade to. Live with the mismatch for now, and upgrade your mains to a matching pair when you can.

5. John S

John S Producer

10" woofs, still have a low resonate characteristic. Push for at least a 6" low end driver.

I do think it may sound better with just the two fronts and I rarely say that. Those fronts are going to be somewhat tough to get any sort of timbre match on is all.