Need a bright idea...

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Patrick G, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

I have attached a gate latch catch for my privacy fence gate to my neighbor's fence post, as you can see below. I have 2 problems. First of all, that vinyl post is hollow, there is no wooden post inside, at least not at that height, so I need some sort of screw/glue, whatever, to better secure that catch to the post. My next problem is, what can I use to cover the edges of the catch (actually 2 L-brackets) so that when you walk thru you won't scrape yourself on the sharp edges? Do they make any kind of spray rubber or plastic I can use?

Or, if you have a better idea altogether for this, please let me know. Thanks!

Excuse the dirt on the gate, I hadn't cleaned it when I shot this.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I think moly-bolts would be a good way to attach it, although they'll probably be a pain to install and a lot of trouble to remove. Those or some other type of drywall anchor that doesn't require 1/2" or 3/4" thick material to work on.

There are products that you can dip things in that give them a rubber coating. I can't think of their names, but I'm sure any hardware store would sell it.

3. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

YES! That's the sort of thing I'm looking for. Anyone know what it's called?

4. Patrick G

Patrick G Second Unit

Ok, I found a product called Plasti Dip that comes in a dip and a spray. You think I could also spray the whole handle with that stuff, even though it has a moving part?

5. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

The stuff is essentially like really thick paint. I doubt it'll it work well on the handle. I think it'll stick to both parts and you'll have to move it constantly while the stuff sets and it won't look very good cause it will likely tear along the connections. Also, don't spray stuff while it's on the fence because dealing with the overspray will be a problem.

6. Leo Hinze

Leo Hinze Stunt Coordinator

You could get a Dremel or other rotary tool with a metal file, and round the corners of the two l-brackets. Make sure you use a file that is meant for use with stainless steel, and that has never been used on carbon steel (to avoid rust problems).

7. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

Yeah, Those 2 metal plates on the inside of that post will eventually either cut someone or rip some clothing. As far as attaching them to the post, if you remove the post top can you get a piece of wood down it that you could screw into.

8. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    If that wasn't hollow (and not your neighbor's property) a cool solution would be to recess those latchs into the post. You'll also have less of a gap between the post and your door.

Jay