What's new

Need a <$50 universal remote control. Suggestions? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
For 8 (!) years now I've used the phenomenal Radio Shack 15-1994 remote control. But it's time for a new remote -- my wife grumbles that the current one is too complex. And I'm been unable to get some macros just how I want them. I need a good new remote, a worthy successor to the 15-1994, and I'd like to spend less than $50.

The Sony RM-VL600 has a very positive review.

The new Radio Shack 15-100 looks nice but there's no reviews out yet.

Has anyone used either of these? Or have any other recommendations for a new universal, programmable remote?

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
You might be able to get a Harmony for $50.

It's an activity based remote-- so if you press the "Watch DVD" button, it turns on the DVD player, receiver, and TV, sets the receiver and TV to the proper inputs, etc.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
A used Harmony or new? The new ones are like $300! I could check Ebay. hadn't thought of that.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I just got the 550 for around $70 om Amazon. I had everything in my system running correctly in about 30 minutes. I have been a Pronto fan for years but I am now sold on the Harmoney remotes. I have 8 devices in my system.

Best of all the WAF is much higher than the Pronto.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
I'd sell you my Harmony 659 so I could get one of the newer models, but my wife doesn't want me to spend money right now. i can't even convince her to get an HD player yet.

I paid about $150 for the 659 in 2002, and it's been well worth it. Very high WAF. It might be worth an extra $35 over your budget in WAF.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Those don't seem to be sold anymore. But the 659 is, for $90. There's a review at Remote Central, so I'll check that out.

My wife wouldn't mind spending more money if it gets a remote control that she can understand and fully replace everything else with. But then I have to worry about details, like whether it has a suitable button to control her VCR's 30-sec rewind feature. :)

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
I use a Harmony 659. It's pretty good except--

My Onkyo 502 has a remote with a joystick-- which is great for dialing in level settings, etc. Only available on the higher end models of the harmony.

I use the soft buttons a lot-- there's no dedicated button for Closed Caption or Aspect Ratio, both of which I use somewhat regularly. I could reconfigure the mapping.

Some of the macros, such as the one to switch from HDMI to Tuner mode on my TV are too long to be reliable. "Input-Right-Right-Right-Right-Enter" is just asking for trouble. That's more a fault of my TV than the remote.

Overall, though, I'm happy.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
Hehe, that 659 review on remote central is the exact review I read almost 6 years ago that sold me on the remote. The 659 is a reliable model and has been around a long time now. My only gripe with it is the VCR/DVD function buttons are at the bottom of the remote, and newer Harmony remotes have corrected that deficiency.

As for specific remote functions that don't have dedicated buttons, you can map single button commands to hard buttons that are unused...and on the 659, because of hte picture and sound buttons for each activity, you really have 2-3 times the number of buttons. And, of course, you can rearrange device commands for the soft buttons to any order you want.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Unfortunately, it looks like Remote Central has only been barely updated in the past six years :frowning: Too bad, as it's the best source on remote control info.

The 659 sounds quite good. It's weird that it has six buttons by the LCD but only four are used. The next model up (670?) has a strange arrangement for the standard play/record/fwd/rwd buttons, so it's out of consideration. And I shouldn't consider remotes that are $150+. :)

I'd love to have a good review of the RS 15-100, still. I love the 15-1994, and wonder if the 15-100 builds on its strengths.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
THE WAF is really high. She would always get lost in the pronto no matter how many dummy buttons I programmed in. With the Harmony she only has to remember activities as she never needs additional device buttons but she does understand how to get there if needed. Just hit the device button :)

All the device remotes are put away and have not seen daylight again.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Looking for something in the same price range as well.

Big fan of the RS 15-1994 as well.

So Harmony it is eh? Anything new since the last reply?

--
H

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
One question - have you programmed your remote with the "JP1" stuff on your computer?

Personally I've been extremely happy over the years with the OneForAll products from which the Radio Shack line is derived. I have found that the models with an LCD display seem to be much more user friendly as far as indicating what more they are in, the time, etc. I've been using them ever since the old non-learning Producer 8. Currently I use the URC 9910 (My home theater has the equipment rack to the side so I need the RF extension) and I very highly recommend this model! My wife doesn't really run the "home theater" much except to jam her itunes while working out on the treadmill, and for that, all she needs is volume from the standard Onkyo remote, so I can't comment on "WAF".

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I never did use the JP1 stuff because back when I wanted to, the cable wasn't readily available. Or I was a broke college student. Now I am a broke professional :P

What would be the model without RF extension?

--
H

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
They do have a model with and without the RF box, but that's not the one I have. I have the one with the RF and I love it. I only wish it could somehow interface with the RF receiver on my Dish Network receiver.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
So I went high-end and got the Harmony One. This is a superb remote and a worthy successor to my 15-1994 :) If they weren't so expensive, I'd recommend one to everyone.

(I never used the JP1 interface for my 15-1994. And it's now enjoying its
retirement in the bedroom, leisurely controlling just a TV and VCR.)

JimIroc

Agent
The Harmony 659 is available as a refurb on Amazon for $44. I can't imagine finding a better remote for the money. I've got a 670 and I'm very pleased with it. The 659 is essentially the same thing with a slightly different button configuration.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
If you watch eBay, you can get deals on new, not refurb, Harmony 659s. I just picked a second one up a few weeks ago for about $40+s&h. It's a sweet remote and does everything I want it to, with a damned complicated HT system. And it's easy enough my aged mother can run it (not program the remote, but run the HT system).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks