What's new

need 7 speakers (excluding sub) for $500 - any suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Bret Pritchett

Stunt Coordinator
Topic says it all. I need a center, left, right, and 4 surround speakers. Its a tight budget - I really want to keep it under $500 (I have 2 vacations I have to save $ for this year). Any suggestions?

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
I second Ian suggestion, you wont get a better set for your budget, very good for movies. I have a NSP1 and its incredible the sound this speakers have, and mathching them with N38 you will end up with a great setup.

Chad A

Stunt Coordinator
I suggest you take a look at the Wharfedale Diamond 7.2 speakers over at Buy.com.

They're on sale for $80 a pair and if they sound half as good as my Diamond 8 series they are damn sure worth $40 a piece. I think they're including free shipping right now also.
I'd get 4 pairs and use one as your center but since it's not shielded you'll have to keep it a few feet away from the screen, and..........you'd have an extra 8th speaker all for under $320 shipped.
IMO that's the best deal out there on the lowest of budgets.

Jin E

Second Unit
HTD Level III bookshelves on clerance direct from the vendor. Old style ones are $150, while new styles are $179 for a pair. Two pairs = $360. Add a level III center for another $150... or you can get the Level II Bstock on clearance for $60. The setup should run you a little over $500 at most. Great speakers for the money. Much better IMHO then the JBL NSP/N24's. The N24's sounded hollow and "plastic" to me. I know people rave about them but I've never enjoyed the sound from them... unlike the HTD's I've heard.

http://www.htdaudio.com/clearanceitems.html

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
These things are so subjective.I think with the right receiver and the right accoustics in a room things can sound entirely different. I've read good reviews on the N24's
http://cheaphometheater.com/jbl-N24.htm
I've also read people worshipping them and people writing they weren't worth the time of day. I think however as surrounds the N24's offer good value and the N38's as mains are excellent as well.

Bret Pritchett

Stunt Coordinator
Quote:
These things are so subjective.I think with the right receiver and the right accoustics in a room things can sound entirely different.

I have a Harman Kardon avr 325. Any particular speakers come to mind to go with a HK receiver?

Paradigm speakers sound sweet with HK receivers.

Paradigm Atoms for the front and rear: $180/pair
Paradigm CC-70 Center channel: $100/each

IMO for 500 bucks, you can't do better.

Ian-Fl

Second Unit
I'm a real believer in floor standing speakers. With good sized drivers from floor standers you'll get a good full sound for highs, mids and low frequencies. I have a H/K avr125 driving a set of Fluance sx-htb. They're clean, undistorted and also full in sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks