Need '50s-60s Sci-Fi Recommendations

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Eric Huffstutler, Jul 1, 2003.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    There are so many low budget Sci-Fi turkeys of the '50s and '60s, I was wondering if people could suggest the Cream of the Crop?

Also, can someone identify a movie I saw as a kid during the 60s where a blob-like space monster swallows up people alive and you can see inside of it while the victims are being digested?

2. richardWI

richardWI Second Unit

Outer Limits Season One is great, and the Twilight Zone series is in boxset form now.. Not sure if you were asking about TV sci-fi, but I consider those the cream of the crop [​IMG]

3. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

He was asking about bad films from the era, not classics (and Forbidden Planet, one of the three or four finest SF films ever made, was a big-budget 1956 release). The Outer Limits, though made on a limited budget, is the finest SF television series of all time. The Twilight Zone is a literate and enduring cultural icon.

What he wants are recommendations in the vein of The Brain From Planet Arous—that sort of stuff. Rocketship XM. Target Earth. Journey to the Seventh Planet. Get with it!

5. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

I'd suggest the Brain that Wouldn't Die. It's exploitation without the nudity.

6. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

7. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

I have'nt seen it in over 25 years but it sounds like the Toho classic Dagora the Space Monster. Though I don't remember seeing people being digested so I could be way off.

Another film that it could be is The Green Slime. My memory of this one is even hazier than Dagora.

8. Tony Scello

Tony Scello Second Unit

You might want to consider The Crawling Eye(also known as The Trollenberg Terror). I think its a pretty effective sci-fi/horror film from 1958 but I'm sure others might consider it a "sci-fi turkey". By the way, the DVD has an excellent transfer and includes the uncut European version of the film with a few extra seconds of gore.

9. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

Steven said:
    "There are so many low budget Sci-Fi turkeys of the '50s and '60s, I was wondering if people could suggest the Cream of the Crop?"

Sounds like this could mean either the best '50s and '60s sci-fi flicks, or the better of the "low budget Sci-Fi turkeys."

I think the former. With that in mind, check out Planeta Burg ("Planet of Storms"), a Russian SF film available from "Sinister Cinema" on DVD-R. Very atmospheric with great production design, and the scene with the robot transporting the two cosmonauts across the lava flow is terrific!

10. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Best of the bad SiFi, is probably The Blob and maybe Fiend Without a Face. Both are great fun and The Blob would make a good many good lists as well as a good many ‘bad’ lists.

11. Jack Briggs

Steven, as noted, I have misread your post: Are you asking for the great SF films from the '50s and the '60s? If so ...

* 2001: A Space Odyssey
    * Forbidden Planet
    * The Day the Earth Stood Still
    * Fahrenheit 451
    * This Island Earth
    * Alphaville
    * The War of the Worlds
    * The Time Machine

Too, there are a number of titles that, while slim and slippery on the scientific plausibility, are fun anyway (Mysterious Island, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Earth vs. the Flying Saucers, When Worlds Collide, etc.). Oh, and a big favorite of mine: First Men in the Moon (excellent DVD, by the way).

12. richardWI

richardWI Second Unit

oops. I read the orignal post while half asleep. No one has mentioned Ed Wood's films yet. Those have gotta be some of the best of the worst.

13. Jack Briggs

Also, if excellence is on your agenda, order MGM's boxset of the first season of ABC-TV's original The Outer Limits. And plan on getting the second and final season when MGM releases it in September.

14. soop.spoon

soop.spoon Supporting Actor

Harryhausen's First Men In The Moon
    Hammer's Quatermass & The Pit

15. Jim Peavy

Heck yeah. Also...

* Creature From the Black Lagoon (beautiful DVD, terrific Tom Weaver commentary; however sadly OOP)
    * It Came From Outer Space (beautiful DVD, and terrific Tom Weaver commentary)
    * THEM! (Grandaddy of all big-bug films, and the best; spectacular DVD, in glorious B/W!)
    * 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (beautiful new DVD)
    *Colossus of New York (low-budget, but quite good 50's Sci-Fi; sadly, never been released on any video format, that I know of. Got my VHS from cable [​IMG] )

16. Robert Dunnill

Robert Dunnill Second Unit

If you're looking for a perfect ten on the Lame-o-Meter, Robot Monster is a sure bet.

RD

17. Jack Briggs

Steven, you might want to return to your thread. We're giving you good 'uns and bad 'uns. If bad is what you want, Robert pointed you in the direction of bad-as-it-gets with The Robot Monster (do gorilla-suited "monsters" wearing fishbowl helmets intrigue you?).

18. Jim Peavy

Ladies and Gentlemen, Steven has left the building...

19. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

20. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    Nope, Steven is quite alive and well but have been away since I made my post.

Some may have misunderstood what I was looking for but yet all the replies were interesting!

I AM looking for the "better quality" 50s-60s Sci-Fi (even the slick ones mentioned) and NOT the turkeys. Those (the turkeys) I am trying to avoid spending my money on unless they are soooo bad they are comical!