need 5 ch. amp for under $1200

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ArthurJ, Jul 11, 2003.

1. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

I want a 5 ch. amp that does a MINIMUM of 100 watts a channel. I am willing to spend up to $1200 BUT if there is something out there cheaper then thats great too. Thanks!

2. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

New or used? Balanced or unbalanced? Silver or black? There as so many choices for amps these days, you have to provide more information. Here are a couple you can look into:

Anthem MCA5 of 50
    Anthem PVA5 or 7
    Sunfire Cinema
    Outlaw 750, 755, 7100
    B&K 5150
    Rotel RMB1075
    Nad
    Parasound
    Sherbourn 5/1500A

3. ArthurJ

ArthurJ Second Unit

chung good point...

I want new, silver, Unfortunetly I dont know what balanced or unbalanced mean, can u please explain?

If there is a company that does used amps WITH warrenty and there really that good I might bite. But new would be better. Thanks!

4. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

Balanced and unbalanced are what type of connections you use from the pre-outs of your preamp. Unbalanced are the RCA type connectors, while balanced are the XLR(like what you see on microphones and pro audio) type connectors. Balanced is supposed to produce a lower noise floor and higher gain, but you have to have a fully balanced amp and preamp to really gain any benefits.

I think that Anthem, Bryston, Parasound Halo, Krell, Odyssey and B&K are the only amp companies that do 5 channel amps with silver faceplates, and Paraound Halo, Krell, Bryston and Odyssey are pretty well priced out of your target (1200). The only amp manufacturers that have transferrable warranties (that I know of) are Odyssey, Bryston, and Outlaw. Good luck

5. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

What speakers do you have? At your priced point a used Sherbourn 5/1500 or 5/1500A (5x200wpc) is an excellent value but it doesn't have a silver front panel.