Need 27-31 in TV 300-450

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Benson R, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Benson R

Benson R Supporting Actor

I'm looking to buy a tv on a budget, 27 to 31 in for between 300 and 450. All I want is S-Video as far as features. I would probably lean towards a 31 in with a good picture as opposed to a 27 in with a great picture. I don't care about sound as I will use the tv primarily for dvds through the reciever. I don't care about anamorphic squeeze that much as I'm upgrading from the crap 19in thompson tube which probably has the worst picture of any tv sold and anything with svideo will probably look spectacular to me. I will probably be shopping at best buy circuit city and walmart. Sales people probably will be no help so I would like descriptions of picture quality for specific model numbers. I have already seen these model numbers cheap and was wondering if there any good: RCA F31317, Sanyo DS31590, GE 31GT740. Any help would be much appreciated.
    ------------------

2. Carol Curtis

Carol Curtis Stunt Coordinator

I would stay away from the GE & RCA sets. If I was you I would take a look at the 32 inch Samsung it can be had for around $450 & the picture is twice as good as any of the ones you mentioned. You might also want to take a look at the 32 inch Zenith it can also be had for $ 450 but as far as I'm concerned no other entry level 32 inch tv beats the Samsung. It has a 10 watt audio amp, bass, trebble & balance controls, front inputs, audio outputs & it also comes with a 1 year warranty the others are only 90 days & No I don't work for Samsung [​IMG] The specs. can be found at www.samsungusa.com

3. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

You may also want to look at the JVC D series, the Toshiba A series, the Panasonic D series, and the 27 or 32 inch Sharp sets, especially if you don't care about tv speaker/sound quality.
    good luck,
    --tom

4. Benson R

Thanks for the suggestions. Has anyone seen the Philips Magnavox TS 3260C and is it any good? How about the Sharp 32R-S50?
    ------------------

5. Carol Curtis

The PHIL/MAG you might want to check out & the Sharp has pretty good picture quality (about the same as the Samsung) but the sound quality in the Sharp is not very good. Again, do yourself a favor & take a look at the Samsung's I think you will be very surprised at what the set has to offer. I would say for picture quality on low-priced tv's the Sharp & the Samsung are the best. After that it's the Toshiba's, JVC "D" series & Panasonic "D" series but they will run you at least a $100 more.

6. Benson R

I was wondering if someone could explain the differences between different comb filters to me. I hear the terms analog, digital or 3 line digital a lot. I realize some of these are probably high end features out of my price range but I would still like to know them while I'm shopping.
    ------------------

7. Carol Curtis

Maybe someone else on the forum will be able to explain it better about comb filters but here is what I found in one of my tv catalogs.
    A tv set receives 3 signals, a luminance signal (black & white), a chrominance signal (color) and an audio signal.
    The purpose of a comb filter is to seperate the luminance & chrominance signal for better resolution. A Digital comb filter stores lines of video information in memory (2-lines for 2-line digital comb filters or 3-lines for 3-line digital comb filters) for refference to help seperate the luminace and chrominance signals. A Digital 3DYC Comb Filter not only analyzes 3 scanning lines from a single frame of video, it also analyzes scanning lines from adjacent frames. This eliminates the flickering, or picture artifacts (dot crawl), that are commom from a detailed pattern or scene.
    There are 4 types of comb filters being used in tv sets today.
    Analog
    2-LINE DIGITAL
    3-LINE DIGITAL
    3DYC DIGITAL
    The 3DYC comb filters are only used on the top of the line models & some companies 2-Line Digital Comb Filters are better than other companies 3-Line comb filters & some companies Analog comb filters are just as good as Digital comb filters from another company. The best thing to do is to compare the pictures on the sets you are interested in & don't worry about comb filters. The big difference I've seen on comb filters is the 3DYC ones you can really tell the difference with those.

8. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Carol, that's a pretty good summary. The only thing I'd add is that comb filters only apply to the RF or the composite inputs on a tv. Svideo and component inputs already have separated the chrominance/color and the luminance portions of the signal - thus usually why they offer a superior image to either of the former types of inputs. Even if a tv doesn't list having a comb filter, every tv essentially must have one because every tv must separate the color signal from the luminance in order to display the image. WHat has happened in recent years is that technology has improved so that the algorithms to do this separation have become much more sophisticated, allowing them to attempt to fix artifacts and improve the picture quality. But in the end, no current comb filter is perfect. A friend has a JVC I'Art which has a 3DYC comb filter and while his looked to be an overall marginal improvement over the 3 line digital comb filter in my 27A40, for some images, there was virtually no difference that I could tell.
    cheers,
    --tom

9. Benson R

Thanks for the help guys. I have a couple more questions. Forgetting about some of the more advanced comb filters what bottom end tv's produce a decent but maybe not spectacular dvd picture through its svideo input. I really don't care about cable or vcr picture quality that much. Also if I do get a tv with a good comb filter what will produce a better picture. Laserdisc through the svideo input or laserdisc through the composite input since it will then make use of the tv's comb filter. Also what kind of dimensions will the packaging be on your average size 32 inch tube. I want to figure out whether it can fit in the back of my sedan which has a large back seat or if it could fit in the trunk half closed and tied down. If not I have to figure delivery charges into my budget.
    ------------------

10. Carol Curtis

Whenever you can you should always use the S-Video Jack or Component over composite inputs. As for putting a 32 inch tv in a car, I would pass on that idea. The boxes are pretty big & at least to me, the sets are very heavy, not something you could carry yourself. You might want to check some companies websites for the size of the sets. If it will fit in the car THROUGH THE DOOR OPENINGS? or the trunk you can always take it out of the box in the parking lot.
    Just make sure not to rip up the box, open it NICELY & colapse it. You want to save the box & all packing material incase you want to exchange the set or return it for another model or just want your money back. Also bear in mind what you are going to put the set on. A 32 inch set will need a sturdy base. I suggest that you bring a strong friend with you [​IMG] AS for delivery charges most places around here are charging $50.

11. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Benson, I don't know a lot about the laserdisc format but I'm pretty sure that the luminance and color information is stored as one combined analog signal on the actual disc. This means that if your laserdisc player has an Svideo output then it must also have some type of comb filter technology built into it in order to separate the color and luminance and send the signal out the Svideo output. Whether this is better or worse than sending the combined signal to the tv and then letting the tv's comb filter do the separating really depends on how good the comb filter is in the laser disc player compared to the newer ones in today's tvs. The advantage in letting the laser disc player do it would be that the signal doesn't need to travel anywhere (and degrade/change due to interference/cable problems) before processing. As mentioned, the advantage in letting the tv do it, possibly, is that the tv's comb filter may do a better job in cleaning up some of the artifacts (rainbow swirling, dot crawl, etc.) than the one in the laserdisc player. I would say your best bet is to simply try both and see which picture looks better to you. Try to find a scene that contains some artifacts. Usually any scene where someone is wearing a tie with any type of criss-crossed pattern on it will show the rainbow swirl affect.
    cheers,
    --tom