Need 2 Zone Receiver - $500 or less

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Chad Potter, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Chad Potter

Chad Potter Extra

I'm a newbie. I'm building my 1st HT setup. Have a $500 budget for a receiver. Through the help of the forum I will be purchasing the following 5.1 speaker setup:

Ascend Acoustics

Center: CMT-340
    L/R: CMT-340 x 2
    Surrounds: HTM-200 x 2
    Sub: SVS PB-12

I will use the system for about 80% HT and 20% Music. I need a receiver that will allow 2 zones as the upstairs is prewired for multi-room audio. I plan on taking advantage of this in the future. I initially looked at the Yamaha RX-N600. The receiver is attractive given its built in LAN port, but is certainly less powerful than other receivers in the same price range. At this point in my research, I think the Pioneer Elite VSX-80TXV would be a reasonable option. This can be found through several online retailers between $450 and $500 (not Authorized sellers). Are there any other suggestions given my price range and need for Zone 2? Thanks. Chad

2. Norman Short

Norman Short Stunt Coordinator

I've just ordered the Pioneer VSX-80TXV and paid in the price range you mentioned. I've still not read any reviews on it though; I've been scouring forums for mention of this model but very little has been said as of now. On paper at least it looks like a nice fit for you, and for me.

I would have waited for the HDMI 1.3 models but my longtime receiver just bit the dust and I'm hurting for a control center right now.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about this new line of receivers.

3. Nick:G

Nick:G Stunt Coordinator

For $449, you can get the Denon AVR-1707, which does have dual zone capability and allows you to re-assign the unused "surround back" amplifier channels to power the second one without buying an additional 2-channel amp. The 1707 is rated at 75W per channel. You can step up to a little more power for $100 more (AVR-1907, 85W per channel).

4. Chad Potter

Chad Potter Extra

I think I'm going to go with the Yamaha RX-V659. I can get this shipped for around $350 with no warranty or $400 with a 3 yr warranty.

For my setup, I cannot find another receiver that offers auto-setup features (YPAO for the 659) and 2 zone capabilities (with pre-outs) so I can send zone 2 to another amplifier (for whole house audio - probably via the Russound CAS44). I also like the idea of the "compressed music enhancer" as I will ultimately be streaming MP3 files from my computer to the receiver.

If anyone has other suggestions for receivers in this price range (around $400 shipped), I would be interested in your opinions. Again, I'm going with the Ascend speakers (CMT-340 x 3 and HTM-200 x 2).

Thanks,
    Chad

5. Danklin26

Danklin26 Agent

Chad, the rx-V659 is a very nice receiver. My father just purchased one. One thing i like is you can use an internal amp to power the speakers in a second zone or use an amp...which in your case is a good idea if you want to run multiple channels. I still have not gotten the onscreen display to work on the receiver but i think its a problem with the S-video cable im using or the connector on my fathers 10 year old TV. We use a Yamaha C-750 as a cd player and it sounds great.

6. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

Noel, I have the 659 as well and I can't get the on-screen display to work. If you have any luck, let me know what you did.

7. Chad Potter

Chad Potter Extra

I assume the RX-V659 will have enough power for the speakers I've choosen? Thanks. Chad