need 16x9 HDTV advice

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by bob kaplan, Dec 16, 2001.

1. bob kaplan

bob kaplan Supporting Actor

bob kaplan
    i am thinking of purchasing a 16 x 9 HDTV projection tv. i do not own a satilite dish or watch much television programing at all(well maybe ER and WILL and Grace..but that is it!) Living in upstate New York, i do not expect our cable system to be able to deliver HDTV for quite sometime.

But i do love DVD movies and have quite a large collection...not to mention a large LaserDisc collection (which is getting smaller due to rott and replacement).

With this in mind...might you give me some advise...?

1. am i looney for wishing to purchasing the HDTV since about the only thing i will watch is DVD programing?

2.What will wide screen LaserDiscs look like when projected on the HDTV?..or for that matter nonenhanced DVDs?

3. i am a bit confused on the 3:2 pull down thing...what should i watch for there?

4. i will need to purchase a progression scan dvd player...any advice on this matter?

.....i guess any advice would be appreciated...thank for your time...

i am gonna go look today...but only to listen to the sales pitches...and to help talk the significant other into the project...wish me luck!

2. HankM

HankM Second Unit

Where abouts in upstate NY. I'm in the Albany area and I get 2 HD channels from TWC. The HD channels are HBO HD & SHO HD.

3. Myram

Myram Second Unit

Well I'll answer your questions by number -

1 - I don't have any HD broadcasts in my area and I purchased a 16:9 TV mostly because of DVD's.

2 - I'm not sure about LDs, but with DVD's if you have a good DVD player they will look great.

3 - 2:3 pulldown I am not too up on the technical details on.

4 - If you are going to spend the money on a nice HD 16:9 RPTV.....then you might as well spend the money and get a nice progressive scan DVD player. The top of the pile right now is the Panasonic RP-91 ($450 online), the Panasonic RP-56 ($220 online) is another very good player. The RP-91 will automatically scale non-anamorphic DVD, it also includes DVD-A, and has alot of bells and whistles that make it the best under $1000 right now.

I figured I'd answer your post only because I was in the same boat as you. I don't have HD broadcasts, but I do enjoy DVD movie watching and wanted to get the most out of it. So I went with a Mitsubishi WT-46809 HD RPTV, it is a great set that really looks incredible. I also have the Panasonic RP-91 to go with it......these two units together make a DVD look like it was made to look.

Good Luck

4. Tom Morgan

Tom Morgan Stunt Coordinator

I went with the Mits WS-65907 and a Panny RP-91. Both have been great so far. I do not have any HD yet.

5. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

6. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Bob: OTA HD may be a possibility for you. First, go HERE to see your situation with regard to OTA available to you. This site will also recommned a type of antenna which you'd need to get OTA HD. Next, go HERE and see what HD is showing on your local affiliates tonight and every night. Finally, once you have this info, if your locals are broadcasting in HD, get back to us and we can give you some HD STB, antenna and possibly antenna preamp advice. As for HD cable, TWC here offers it for about $10 more than digital cable and they provide the cable boxes for HD for around an additional $3 per month. Otherwise, HD STBs run about $800 down to $450 or so, depending on the model. I got lucky and bought mine for only $216 at a bankrupcy sale.
    I also just recently bought a new Pioneer 643HD5 HD TV and along with my antenna and preamp, I get OTA HDTV every night, sometimes on 4 different channels. I have an RP91 as my DVD player and this combo kicks butt! As for SDTV, the TV upconverts the 480i signal to 480p but sometimes if the cable image is bad, the upconvert looks even worse. So, make sure your input is as good as you can get it first. Some TVs upconvert better than others, so make sure you shop around and get your selections to 2 or 3 sets. Then take a few of your favorite DVDs, and a VHS tape of your local cable broadcasts to the store and see how they look on those sets.
    Get back to us and let us know what you decide... and have fun shopping!

7. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas

8. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

How is the line-doubling on the Mitsubishi TV's?

9. David Meek

David Meek Extra

Bob,
    1) I bought a 58" 16:9 RPTV and currently, it is solely used for DVD viewing, so NO you aren't loony! Well at least by my standards. [​IMG] I won't be hooking up cable until my provider has a Hi-Def feed, or I make the plunge into satellite/OTA.
    Oh, Good Luck!

10. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Until there is a definitive decision on the DVI and FireWire video interface copy protection debacle any money spent now on an HDTV may be wasted.

I will bet this thread will be moved soon.

Dan

11. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul