neebie projector help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Benjamin Grefe, Feb 23, 2003.

1. Benjamin Grefe

Benjamin Grefe Auditioning

Hello all, this is my first post on this forum.

I have been a Home Theater enthauist for roughly 7 years now buying stuff that I could afford on my after school job budget. So far I've acquired a nice setup (compared to what most of my friends have) which includes a Pioneer Elite Reciever, 36 RCA flat TV, JVC Mini-Disc, Panasonic progressive scan DVD and a pair of HiFi VCR's. This isn't too much, but it's done me well up until now.

Next year I am going to be moving into my apartment so I will have alot more space to play with. I started looking for a new TV and got a great deal. I'm getting a BARCO 801 graphics projector from my school for free. It has roughly 3500 hours on it (they are replacing them with newer LCD projectors for the lecture halls) and it is in very good condition. I want to get this thing going to it's full potential but I honnestly don't know ANYWHERE to start.

I've been reading magazines for years about how to work with these things, but never really got into the details because I didn't think I would be working with a unit like this for many years.

What equipment do I need to buy to integrate all of this. My plans were to get a line doubler for it (this is the 801 series that does 1024x768) but I don't know which one will work with this unit. In addition to the doubler I want to get a philips pronto remote so I only have one remote laying around.

My question is, what else do I need? My budget CANNOT exceed 800 dollars really but I want this thing to work really good.

BEN

PS. I know I don't have the exact model number for this unit but I will be getting that in the coming days from my school.

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Benjamin, welcome to the HTF.

Since your question is fairly product specific, I am going to direct you to a BARCO site that can help you with this model. I know that this CRT projector accepts RGB. You can go progressive as some others have done or incorporate a HTPC as a scaler. If you have any other questions, let us know.

Barco Home Cinema Forum

3. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

Benjamin,

I am very familiar with the projector you just picked up. Did you know, someone paid $24,000 dollars for that unit back in 1994/1995. If you have a manual you will get it set up in short order, if you have no manual, you will need my help, which I will gladly give through this site.
    Let me know when you get stuck.

4. Benjamin Grefe

Benjamin Grefe Auditioning

Great, thank you for the replies. I called up the people in charge today and got a tentative time frame of next Wednesday so the day is getting near. I will most likely have more questions coming up but the barco site was a good place to start, thank you.

BEN