What's new

Necessity for 6 Channel Analog Inputs (1 Viewer)

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Some pre/pros do not have the 6 channel analog inputs to accommodate SACD or DVD-A. Is there really much software for these formats, especially DVD-A? Even if there is some, I would have to think twice about replacing the titles I already own.

Additionally, my taste in music and movies may be out of the "mainstream". Is it reasonable to think that most music and movies will be remastered for these formats? What good would the 6 channel analog inputs do me in this scenario?

All comments will be appreciated.

Thanks

Artie

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Well, one way such inputs have been useful until now (don't know if they'll continue to be useful for that later) has been as an entry for new updated DSPs. Example, if you have a receiver that you really like, the amp section works very well for you, but you'd like to get DTS or Dolby Pro Logic II, you could use the preouts of an inexpensive, low powered receiver plugged into your outdated, but otherwise in excellent shape, receiver. That way, you could stretch the life of your old receiver for relatively few dollars. Probably not a common use for these inputs anymore (used to be more frequent in the mid to late 90s) but still viable for now.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
It also depends on the player. IIRC, Pioneer Elite series players can output DVD-A and SACD over firewire to an appropriate processor. The analog setup can be used for any brand player.

There's really quite a bit of hirez software....not compared to regular CD by any means...but enough that I've found and purchased 30 or so titles since I bought my player at the first part of the year. Just because the disk says DVD-A or SACD is no guarantee that it's going to be more enjoyable to listen to than CD....some of it's pretty impressive and some of it ????? they shouldn't have wasted the time.

Mort

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I would absolutely NOT buy a AVR or Pre/Pro w/o a 6CH analog input. Even if it has a firewire or other digital link, connectivity between different brands is not at all guaranteed.

As for whether or not its worth it to you, I guess the only thing anyone could say is search as much as you can for the available titles, and see what appeals to you.

I too have a hi-rez player (well, two actually) and would not trade it for anything, even though I have only about 50 titles or so.

I have new stuff (Porcupine Tree) and old stuff (Eagles, Yes, etc.) in MC hi-rez, and for me its been a revelation to hear these old tracks come to life in MC.

BGL

Drew_W

Screenwriter
And not only is it high res, but it's surround sound music...high res. An interesting experience, and one I'm actually foregoing as I'm moving my main system from surround back to stereo.

Charlie C

Stunt Coordinator
so DrewW, you are saying you will be listening to all high res audio through 2 channel?

Drew_W

Screenwriter
I have two systems...the theatre running Athena all around with my Pioneer Elite 53TX and a Pioneer DVC-505 (I think that's the model, it's oldish), and my "main" rig, which has the equipment I usually talk about (Anthem AVM-20/Rotel RMB-1075/Denon 2900/Musical Fidelity A3.24/Energy Veritas all around).

I think all but the digital front-end is going to go (and that may get changed too at some point, but it's not bad for the moment). I realized I do 90% stereo (Redbook) listening anyways, so having a full blown HT setup while I have another one in the basement is unnecessary.

What convinced me? I bought my parents an Arcam A65+ integrated that I paid $312USD for including shipping. Hooked it up and my jaw dropped. Except for it's limited power reserves (40wpc means you can't exactly blast rock music, but it will go reasonably loud, and I say limited relative only to my Rotel amp, which probably puts out more than its 130wpc rating when only two channels are running)...this thing is a sonic equal to the Anthem AVM-20/Rotel RMB-1075 combo, one that would probably go on the used market for more than 10x what I paid for the Arcam.

I've been tinkering with the Arcam from Monday. Here we are now at Friday night, and I haven't felt the slightest urge to disconnect my speakers from it and to use the surround combo that has sat dormant since Monday.

I was in absolute heaven and hell at the same time when I began listening to the Arcam Wednesday. It boggled my mind how something I picked up AS A GIFT FOR MY PARENTS for just over $300 was giving my system a run for its money. The feeling was just indescribable.

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I too had a chance to play with an Arcam A65+ for a week or so (loaner from my dealer while I awaited my receiver) and I concur. It's an amazing piece. If I weren't obliged to have my music and HT in the same setup, I'd have snapped the Arcam up in a heartbeat (may yet do that for a two channel setup, if I can find space for it). Have to say, Drew, that's a pretty amazing price for the Arcam. Lucky you.:emoji_thumbsup:

James W. Johnson

Screenwriter
I cannot say I blame you Drew, if HT was my only need then id have been happy with my RX-V3300 , for that matter my 4 previous set-ups were excellent for HT use as well.

Heck, I could pretty much get away with just my DVD-2900s internal processing and a used $100 Pro-Logic reciever with 5.1 inputs and be happy if HT was all I needed.

Like Paul, I use my HT system as my music system as well. And in 6 years of being in this hobby I just now got the 2 channel portion right or at least it has never sounded better.
But now I wish I had more features for the HT end of things but the thing is it will cost a big chunk of change to get a newer pre-pro that sounds as good as the Aragon in 2 channel.

To answer the topic at hand, I agree with the others...5.1/6.1 inputs are a must have and IMO if you like music and have an HT then you owe it to yourself to at least try out DVD-A and SACD. There is quite abit of software available for both formats..not as much as there should be but still alot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks