What's new

NECA's line of 'SIN CITY' figures rock as hard as the film! (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I just called my local Spencer's gifts and reserved a whole set of the first series in NECA's new Sin City line and I can't wait to pick them up this afternoon! They are all in black and white (wouldn't have them any other way) except for Yellow Bastard. There are two 18" Marve's available, a colorized version and a b&w version, I can't find the b&w version in stores so I ordered one on ebay this morning.

The guy I talked to at Spencer's told me these figures are HOT and are going like lightning, so if you want them you'd better move on them now before it's too late, as that would truly be a sin!

I'll let you all know how they really look in person when I get them later on today, but being from NECA, i'm sure they are going to be incredible.

Also, just FYI, I don't know what the deal is with Mcfarlane toys lately, his series 2 line of Alien vs Predator figures are only going to be 4" tall!? :confused: I don't care what he says about them still being great, just smaller, they are beginning to cut unacceptable corners over there with their film oriented lines. While they're getting smaller, NECA is reaping the profits with their 18" lines. You snooze you lose, Mcfarlane.

James T

Screenwriter
I just bought a 18" Marv from my comic store in B&W. It cost me $50 CDN, so it was a fair price I guess.

I really wanted the others, but they weren't available for order from my comic store.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I read somewhere that neither Benecio Del Toro or Clive Owens elected to lend their likeness to the figures, so it they do put out a Jack or Dwight figure, it won't look exactly like Del Toro or Owens.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Well, if I know NECA the way I think I do, they'll probably opt to either not do those two charactors at all (they pride themselves on actor-accurate likenesses) or continue negotiations with the two actors to try and get them into series 2 later in the year, I hope for the latter.

Welp, I just got them, and man, they are amazing! I was misinformed on the phone though, they had everybody except for Nancy, so I couldn't get her, but I will tonight on ebay.

Likenesses to the film are dead on! The very spirit of the film is present in every hard crevice of Marve's mug, right down to the many bandages on his face, he even comes with Glady's, his trusty weapon, among other things.

The tortured yet kind hearted face of Hartigan is fully captured as well, his tie is even blowing in the wind! He comes with his sidearm and a lead pipe.

You can almost smell the stench coming from the packaging that Yellow Bastard comes in, he looks so right that it makes you sick to even look that little snot in the eyes!

And Gail looks just as tough and sexy in plastic form as she did in the film! Only NECA would have the balls to do her so accurately, right down to her dominatrix outfit. :)

Lastly (until I get Nancy that is) is Manute. NECA captured Michael Clark Duncan to a T, although, curiously, they neglected to make his one eye shimmer gold, instead it's silver, a rare oversight on NECA's part that can easily be fixed with a little paint. However these aren't leaving their boxes so I won't get that chance.

I cannot wait for the 18" Marve to arrive!

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Man, what is so special about the Nancy figure that has every collector in the land snaching her up!? :confused:

After a few phone calls (in vain) last evening followed by an exhaustive search on ebay for a relatively cheap Nancy b&w, I came to realize that she is the one in this bunch that collectors are just fighting over, I have no clue why, every figure in this first series are awesome, why was she singled out? Who knows.

I wanted to find one on ebay that I could buy now as I have this unbelievable talent for losing ebay auctions and I didn't want to risk that, and the cheapest one I found was $26.99 + $8.00 s/h! So I just closed my eyes, took a deep breath and bought it.

It did sting a bit, but from what i've seen of the figure it'll be worth it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
female figures are almost always the harder to find because they usually are short packed.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
That doesn't explain why Gail is so readily available though.

My guess is that it's a hot item because it's modeled after Jessica Alba, just about every male in America loves Jessica, myself included. Also, she was a very special charactor in the film and collectors are drawn to the figure because it captured her perfectly.

That's my theory anyway. I'm just glad i've got one coming, thank God for ebay! I suppose I had better be prepared for the same situation when NECA releases their 7" Shelly later this year.

Henry,
nice pic, however I have no intrest in the colorized versions, it looks great, but it's not accurate to the film. :emoji_thumbsup:

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member

There's a reason for it. There are two versions of each figure in the series. The black and white ones and the color ones. Since Yellow Bastard is always yellow, his "black and white" version is smiling and his "color" version has a serious look on his face. The figures are packed more or less evenly. 14 to a case, one of each b&w, one of each color, except for Marv and Hartigan. They each get an extra b&w figure in the case. So why is Nancy so hard to come by? Well, while there are two Nancy's per case, there are actually FOUR different versions of the figures. In addition to the two different paint schemes, there are two different head sculpts. There is the straight-haired sculpt and the "wind-blown" sculpt. It's a simple matter of supply and demand, collectors want all 4 Nancy's but the cases only contain 2. The cases are guaranteed to have a 1 black & white and 1 color but the different heads are packed randomly. Let's just say that a retailer gets 2 cases and they luck out and gets all 4 Nancy's. That means they have:

4 b&w Marv
2 color Marv
4 b&w Hartigan
2 color Hartigan
2 b&w Gail
2 color Gail
2 b&w Manute
2 color Manute
2 smiling Yellow Bastard
2 serious Yellow Bastard
1 b&w Nancy straight hair
1 color Nancy wind-blown
1 b&w Nancy wind-blown
1 color Nancy straight hair

basically, for every complete set of all 14 "Sin City" figures, there's another Nancy-less set of the 10 others and an extra Marv and Hartigan on top of that. Why NECA didn't just use the space in the cases devoted to the extra Marv and Hartigan to ensure that all 4 Nancy's came in each case is beyond me. Of course, I have all 14 figures, so I'm not complaining :D

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Thanks, Bill. :emoji_thumbsup: That certaintly explains it. I got my b&w Nancy in the mail the other day from ebay, it's the wind swept hair sculpt which is the one I wanted anyway.

I really don't care for the color editions or the other Nancy's though, I just wanted her to complete the b&w set, not counting the straight haired one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks