NEC LT150 questions..

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Trevor_J, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Trevor_J

Trevor_J Second Unit

I just sold my current projector (Sharpvision ZW99) Which has dutifully served me for the past couple of years.

I plan on keeping my current 106" 1.3 gain 16x9 screen for now. Would the 150 produce a decent picture at this size?

Also, can anyone point me to where I can find the best price on a LT150? I'm aware that they are no longer in production, but someone must have stock somewhere. I also don't mind going B-stock.

Thanks in advance.

Trevor (A soon to be LT150 owner)

2. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

I have some reservations about a screen that size and gain with the LT150 or LT150Z. Yes, it can be used on that size and adequately light up the screen, but you will be at the upper range of screens I'd want to light up with the machine. It will work, BUT you may not be able to do image enhancing mods which take it from a fairly pedestrian performer and transform it into a machine which looks amazingly like CRT in image depth and transparency. Those mods (color wheel clear segment silvering, addition of Hoya FLD filter & recalibration, aperture modification, etc) all take their toll on total light output. The result is a doubling of actual contrast ratio and black levels better than your local cineplex, but with everything applied to the machine, light output is much lower than stock. This is particularly true of the aperture modification. If you are only planning to use the machine stock or with just the Hoya FLD and the clear segment mod, then yes. The machine would be okay on that size screen and still be able to eak out about 30 to 40% better contrast than out of the box.

The LT150 is discontinued but can be had as B stock through AV Science. They have a waiting list. I believe they are also setting up a group buy for the LT150Z so you could give them a call.

3. Trevor_J

Trevor_J Second Unit

Guy, thanks for the reply.

I can understand your concerns re: picture size vs. light output. I'm coming from a relatively weak ZW99 projector so I don't think I will be bothered by the lower light level until I can get a higher gain and/or smaller screen since the ZW99 only puts out about 250 ANSI Lumens in 16x9 mode. I do plan on attempting as many mods as I can comfortably handle, but the I suppose my initial mods would be the filter and the clear segment mod that you mentioned.

Thanks for the heads up on AV Science, I will contact them tomorrow.

I have one other question regarding my setup. I am using a DVDO iScan (original) to output a progressive image using an RGB cable into my projector. I did a quick search on the LT150 over at the AVS forums and I saw that it was briefly mentioned that the LT150 cannot switch into Cinema Mode when going through the RGB inputs. Is this true? It's not that big of a deal since I should be able to get an RGB to BNC cable and plug it into the component ins on the LT150. That is assuming it will accept a progressive signal at those inputs (the ZW99 doesn't).

Thanks in advance.

4. Guy Kuo

Guy Kuo Supporting Actor

I've been feeding my LT150Z exclusively a RGBHV at 1024 x 768 from a Faroudja scaler or my laptop. So my observations are most valid for a good scaler or a HTPC as a source. I'm afraid I can't be a definitive source regarding how the machine behaves with a doubler or progressive scan DVD as the source. I do recall someone writing that the 640 x 480 RGB signal can be switched to cinema mode via the RS232 serial control and a computer, but I doubt you'd want to fight with that. Apparently it does better with progressive scan component than RGB line doubled signals in terms of scaling correctly, something about the machine incorrectly interpeting doubled RGB as 640 x 480 and insufficiently sampling the video input, but I'm not the one to ask about that. One, thing. Don't even bother with using s-video into the machine, the amount of combing with motion is pretty bad.

5. Trevor_J

Trevor_J Second Unit

Thanks for clarifying this. Even though the output on my iScan is aRGB 15 pin connector, it has the option to output into either Component or RGB so it looks like I'll just have to go with the breakout cables to avoid having to hack the projector to change it into cinema mode. I'm using a 301 disc DVD changer and I have become spoiled by it so a HTPC is not an option for me. I'm hoping the internal scaler on the LT150 is adequate until I can purchase a seperate unit.

6. John Kotches

John Kotches Cinematographer

Trevor,

You should not need a breakout cable for component feed into the LT-150.

Double check the wiring specs, I believe that Y travels on the G signal, Pr travels on R and Pb travels on B.

I am using the LT-150 with a breakout cable only because I'm using an Extron Switcher.

Otherwise, it should be able to take the component directly from an HD-15 (aka vga) connector.

Regards,

7. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

I'm running the LT150 on a 110" DIY 16x9 screen made from black out material. The picture is plenty bright and blacks are as black as I see in a normal theatre.
    I got mine new from a fellow over in the www.avsforum.com for $2k about 4 months ago. People are always selling them over there if you want to take a look.