NEC LCD Multimedia Projector Advise

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Jeff Meyers, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Jeff Meyers

Jeff Meyers Supporting Actor

I am contemplating the leap into a front-projection system. Best Buy has a Black Friday deal on the NEC VT47 - $599.99 after savings & rebates.

Would this be a good first front-projector? I would be using it mostly to watch DVD's and I would need to control quite a bit of light in the room.

I checked NEC's website for the VT47 specs: resolution 800 x 600 and 1,500 ANSI lumens.

I'm guessing that the big downside to this projector is the 4:3 (800 x 600) native resolution - is that correct?

Any pros and cons on this would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Producer

Jim
    Did you read the review at Projectorcentral.com aboutit?
    What is the return policy there?
    I wouldn't worry too much about the native 4:3 format. I have the X1, native 4:3 format, but I use it in 16:9 mode with a 16:9 screen and I love it.

3. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

I have a NEC VT45 which I bought two years ago. Mine has 800 lumens and about the same contrast ratio 400:1
    The difference I see is the amount of Lumens 1500 and 1200 in econo mode. There's no zoom lense, so your throw distance is fixed.
    On a 96" wide screen your throw distance is 9'
    That seems like a bright projector with a short throw.
    It might look too bright. You might need a negative gain screen or get a FL-Day filter by Hoya. That will reduce the brightness and improve the contrast.
    I see it has component ins so make sure you hook it up with a progressive scan player or the VGA in with a component breakout cable from the same player.
    The s-video in will probably be useless, because the deinterlacer is not very good in the projector. A player with a good deinterlacer is critical I'll bet.
    On the plus side NEC makes excellent build quality projectors.
    The price seems good. You could always return it if it's not what you want.

4. Jeff Meyers

Jeff Meyers Supporting Actor

Thank you Jim and Ian for the info.

I'm holding off for now on purchasing a front-projector.