What's new

NEC HT1000 + Hoya FLD HMC Filter Settings (1 Viewer)

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Here are some setting values after my bulb has aged past the initial startup hours and with the Hoya FLD HMC filter in place. Your own machine's settings may end up different from these...

Picture
Bright -29/ Contrast 37/ Color 36/ Hue 36/ Sharp 15

Settings
Reference Setting Movie
Gamma Natural
Color corrections

red 0, green 0, blue 0, yellow -5, magenta -14, cyan -1 CG 0

White Balance
Bright R -9 G 0 B -1
Contrast R 174 G 148 B 163

Sweet Vision Low
Black Expansion 3
Contrast Enhancement Off

Remember, these values were derived for the S-video input and will only be a good approximation if a Hoya FLD filter is in position. I performed the adjustments using a Colorfacts 6000. A similiar instrument should be used to actually fine tune your own HT1000 for the Hoyal FLD filter and of course other inputs. These figures are here only as a first approximation. You mileage will vary.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Guy,
do you notice much noise (or crawlies) in the blacks on your HT1000?
when i got a chance to see one, i was very surprised how blatant this was on the first 'dark' movie i put in.
i don't know if it was because of the higher contrast ratio or what, but on my LT150 i have to walk up close to the screen to see this same phenomenon- and even then it is much more subtle.
seems like the Blacks are deeper on the HT1000 (or maybe it just looks that way because the contrast is greater?)
which just makes the crawilies stand out more starkly .

i think the Hoya might help to tame these and if/when ig get the HT i will probably get a filter too.

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
No, but I'm also at a longer than average viewing distance. 13 feet away from a 60 inch wide picture.

Mika-H

Stunt Coordinator
Guy, what exactly was you aim in using the HOYA FL-D filter?
Did you measure the grayscale afterwards or just set it by eye?

P.S.- I've got a mint condition 52mm HOYA HMC FL-D filter in the Hardware For Sale section if anyone is interested :)

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Guy, what are you using as the source and what made you choose S-video? Why not component?

Thanks,

Mike

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
The Hoya HMC FLD filter was used to partially optically white balance the native light of the projector towards D65. This allows the DLP to use more of its dynamic range for rendering the image instead of also using part of the range for fixing white balance. That means green and blue can be left wider open while still achieving D65. Otherwise, you throttle down the DLP during green and blue and lose part of the green and blue dyanmic range. The filter also drops total light output so black ends up darker. This may or may not be desirable depending on your screen size and fabric.

The signal sources for the grayscale calibration were window patterns from Sound and Vision Home Theater Tune-up. The color files used to adjust the color correction were from AVIA. Instrumentation was a ColorFacts 60000 spectroradiometer. This allows xyY analysis independent of lamp type.

This device is used as my day to day TiVo viewer (to save my CRT projector that work) As it is only asked to work with s-video sources and occasionally DVD, I simply used the S-video input. Were it my primary device, I would probably investigate its other inputs.

True the image is small at 60 inches across, but wow, it will blow away a RPTV and even gives my NEC XGLC CRT a run for the money in all but very dim scenes. Pretty impressive a little box!

Micheal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
True the image is small at 60 inches across, but wow, it will blow away a RPTV and even gives my NEC XGLC CRT a run for the money in all but very dim scenes. Pretty impressive a little box!
Considering that it's doing that with an S-video feed is very impressive! Personally, I can't wait to see the HT1000 with DVI in a completely light controlled HT room. The Infocus 5700 is also sounding pretty tempting. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks