NEC 8X Black Dual Layer DVD+/-RW Drive, Model ND-2510A BLK

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Eric Samonte, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I was wondering if anyone has any info on this dual layer DVDRW drive. Its on sale today for only $68 shipped (OEM) and I do very much like to get one.

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I've got one, but my computer's not up-and-running yet (I lost my Windows XP disc in a recent move). I'll post info whenever I get things going.

3. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

I have one. I much perfer it to the older Sony DRU-10a that I had. Far fewer coasters (only a couple on the NEC I think, very few overall, I just burn a LOT).

I'm very happy with mine.

4. Anthony Moore

Anthony Moore Supporting Actor

I have this drive. No problems at all. I love it.

Cant really afford the dual-layered discs right now, but i figure ill be ready when the price comes down a little.

5. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

I have a single layer NEC drive and its been fantastic for me...much more compatible with media then my buddies Plextor

7. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I picked up the Silver model of the NEC-2510A and gave my dad my older Liteon 411S (upgraded to 811S with firmware). The NEC is pretty happy if you use Nero 6.3.xx since it has DL-DVD support (if you are thinking about the future), and it burns as well as my 2nd burner, a Liteon 451S (upgraded to a 851S via firmware as well).

8. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

After reading all of the great reviews on this drive, I picked up the 16x version, the ND-3500a, in black. I can now say that NEC drives are awesome, quite, fast and (hopefully) reliable.

9. Holadem

Holadem Lead Actor

I came here yesterday to bitch about my NEC 1100A - after a couple of weeks of educating myself and gathering the hardware and software that I needed to convert my tapes to DVD, I found out that the friggin burner was +R/W only [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]. I would have sworn when I ordered this computer a year and a half ago, it was advertized as a universal burner.

Anyway, I ordered this one as soon as I saw this thread. No research, no question asked, just what I read in this thread, which is very atypical of me but I am at my wits end, I just want the fecking DVD already.

Ah... that felt good.

--
    H

10. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

I love it. So far, very happy [​IMG]

11. Mike Schmitz

Mike Schmitz Stunt Coordinator

I was looking at three different DVD dual layer burners, but from this thread, it looks like the NEC ND-3500a is the one I should consider.

Oh, the readon I want a DVD burner is because my hard drives may or may not be failing, and I want to replace them and start over with Win XP Pro. Since I have about 7-8 GB of data I want to save I thought a dual-layer would be best. But in this thread people were saying the technology might not be ready yet. The thread also led to this review whice said that a dual layer burn took 45 minutes, whereas two single layer burn took 30.

Since I'm only backing up data, should I get a single-layer or a dual layer DVD burner? While I'm on the subject, does Nero have a function that will let you target directories you want backed up, and then put them in specific target directories on the media? I have multiple users, and it's a pain moving the "My Documents" folders.

12. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

On Thursday I ordered the 16x NEC dual layer burner for $74 at Newegg. For $74 I just couldn't pass that up. Yeah the DL discs are still too damn expensive, but I figure that when these drives are going for well under $100, the market for DL discs is sure to grow quickly.

13. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

Mike,

I suggest you get the dual layer burner but use SL discs. Might be useful to have DL in the future and it doesn't cost much extra.

Plus: 1 DL disc= $10, while you can get good SL discs for about 50 cents a disc in bulk.

Dunno about Nero.

14. Mike Schmitz

Mike Schmitz Stunt Coordinator

Phil L said

Ooooooooooh. Now that sounds like a plan! [​IMG]

15. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

The ND-3500A would the one I'll be getting. I'm just waiting on my pre=owned Pinnacle DV500 to get here. [​IMG] ...Good timing as there won't be much time for golf in a few weeks[​IMG]

16. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Bannish the thought.. I've not found any product that does it better then Nero [​IMG] Wouldn't trade it for anything [​IMG]

17. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    nor have i. i also love my nec (4x) drive. after 100 burns, it is quieter than my $300 paperweight sony piece of CRAP ever was.

CJ

18. Phil L

Phil L Supporting Actor

I love Nero.

That was in a response to whether it would select all the sub-folders of the My Documents folder and I didn't know the answer.

The My Documents area is the Bermuda Triangle of my computer.

19. Bryan Toth

Bryan Toth Stunt Coordinator

I've been playing around with my new DL burner a little bit and the best price I've found is about $10/disc. Where did you see them for $6????

Thanks,

Bryan