NEC 6pg - many questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Peter Finlay, May 20, 2001.

1. Peter Finlay

Peter Finlay Auditioning

It is very likely that I will be buying a used NEC 6PG. I currently own a 27"TV and have never owned a front pj. I will probably set it up on a table about 8' from a screen. I think I will be very happy with a 5'-6' screen width. I watch mostly widescreen DVD's. The questions:
    Will the throw distance I have in mind work?
    Is this projector very loud?
    Will a DVD player look good going straight into this pj?
    What type of adaptor do I need going from a DVD component output to the projector's 5 bnc
    R G B H/V V input?
    any help is very appreciated

2. AaronP

AaronP Stunt Coordinator

go to www.avsforum.com they are the people to talk to about CRT projectors. People here are HTF are much more into RPTVs.

3. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Probably the most videophile friendly way of getting a non-progressive DVD component output into a 480p RGBHV (VGA)projector input is to buy an iScan Pro, should be available on line for under USD 700.
    Earlier less expensive models of the iScan, available secondhand, will convert S-video to 480p RGBHV.
    For widescreen you will have to rely on the DVD player's 4:3 TV Shape selection (anamorphic downconversion) unless the projector can be adjusted to scale or squeeze the picture. Also a good idea if you can get one is a 4:3 to 16:8 anamorphic lens for the projector.
    Quality will also depend on the color of the red, green, and blue filters in the projector. A common problem is the red being too orange-ish.
    Other video hints: http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

4. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Peter,
    There are 3 versions of the NEC 6PG. The 6PG scans to 61.5khz, the 6PG Plus (which I own) scans to 64.5khz and the 6PG Extra scans to 69khz. These are all excellent projectors and will handle just about anything you'd want to throw at them up to 720p. For a 16:9 screen I suggest that you send 600p into the projector. Scan lines will be *just* touching on a properly setup 6PG. These projectors have 99 memory setting when used in standalone mode so you can set them up for 16:9 or 4:3 and also for various resolutions. The NEC projectors are setup intensive so be prepared for a stiff learning curve or save yourself the trouble and hire a professional to do it correctly. You can screw up a projector in a hurry if you don't know what you are doing. CRT porjectors have specific throw distances. Determine your maximum screen width and you can then calculate the throw distance. The 6PG puts out a fair amount of noise but it is not overpowering. It should not be setup on a table for optimum performance but should be ceiling mounted. If you set it up on a table you will find that the projector takes up the best seating area. A DVD player will OK going straight into the projector but scan lines will be evident. A scaler is HIGHLY recommended. An iScan is a good unit but it is not an appropriate suggestion for this projector. 480p is too low a resolution to feed the projector and scan lines will still be evident. Decent used scalers can now be found for about $1000 and they are much more appropriate in this case. Look for used Crystalimage scalers around the Internet. Component is NOT RGB(HV). You must send the signal to a scaler or doubler first and then let the scaler or doubler convert the signal to RGB(HV). NEC projectors are known to have outstanding color reproduction. There is no need to worry about the quality of the "filters". Feel free to post any more questions that you may have. Regards.

5. Peter Finlay

Peter Finlay Auditioning

Thanks for the info Bill. It looks like I will be getting the 6pg plus. Would you still recommend 600p for the Plus or would it be a little higher since it tops out at a higher scan rate? I do eventually plan to get it set-up by a professional. I won't be receiving it for a few weeks and after that I will be taking it slow and careful getting it set-up. I will start with the worst possible set-up first (s-video source, projected from a table top onto a white textured wall). This is all I have to start with. At least this way I'll get a 'bad' reference to go from (how bad could it be going from a 27" TV). Eventually I'll get black out curtains, a screen, and a better way to get a DVD source to the projector (scaler, HTPC, or progressive player). Being in Los Angeles I have the HDTV option, but I don't watch much network TV so I'm in no rush to check it out. Will the 6pg plus handle 1080i or does it have to be scaled to 720p or 540p?

6. Bill Lucas

Peter,
    I'd keep it to about 600p with a 16:9 screen. If you have a professional REALLY dial it in and the astig, focus, convergence and setup are spot on then you can probably get up to about 660p with the scan lines *just* touching. 720p has a higher scan rate than 1080i so the projector will output either resolution. Take your time and be careful with your adjustments. If I were you I would touch ANY pots inside the projector. Make all your adjustments through the remote until you know how and why to make the internal adjustments. Check the CRTs for burn-in by shining a flashlight into the lens assembly and inspecting the face of the CRTs. You can also put up a whitefield to check the CRTs. Make sure the projector arrives in the condition that the seller stated. A projector with burned phosphors has little value as a chassis. A set of CRTs for a 6PG Plus will set you back about $1500 plus installation. Ouch. [​IMG] Regards and good luck.

7. Peter Finlay

Peter Finlay Auditioning

I'm getting the projector from avscience so I'm pretty confident it will be checked and in acceptable condition. I will not be touching anything inside the projector. Thanks for all of the info.

8. Bill Lucas

Peter,
    I purchased my 6PG Plus from AVScience. My advice is that you take nothing for granted. My projector was advertised as having useage wear on the blue CRT. It had minor wear on the blue CRT but no one had checked the green CRT. It had moderate to bad phosphor burn and a whitefield was rendered as pink. Fortunately I'm familiar with CRT projectors and I replaced the 2 burned CRTs and I now have a fantastic projector. If you are doing this on a shoestring budget and you don't have the connections for parts at reasonable prices a replacement could cost you more than your initial investment. Check out the projector thoroughly and make sure Alan will exchange it if it is not in the advertised condition. Good luck.