NEC 20 incher dying... need replacement in same range and a bit more...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by inazuma, Sep 22, 2002.

1. inazuma

inazuma Extra

Hello folks...

My NEC 20 inch TV is on its last legs. This is in my bedroom, so HT Quality isn't really necessary, but good quality nonetheless. Here are my reqs:

20 - 25 incher
    At least one component input
    S-video
    Front inputs a plus, but not necessary
    Not RPTV, Direct view only
    "Flat" CRT would be nice (i.e. Wega)
    Less heavy, the better
    Would like to be under $500

Any recommendations? If there are a few that somewhat meet my reqs, I'd like to hear them too. Thanks much!

2. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Toshiba makes the 20AF42 and the 24AF42, the former can be had for ~$270 and the latter for $400. I think Panasonic also makes equivalent models for around the same price. Both brands should meet all your requirements. I have the 20AF41 and it is a nice small sized tv. Geometry is about the biggest concern out of the box but I was able to "fix" mine via the service menu.

good luck,

--tom

3. Evan Hartnett

Evan Hartnett Stunt Coordinator

It's a little bigger than you wanted but the Samsung 27" (link ) TXM-2790F fits pretty much all your requirements (although it does weigh somewhere around 100 lbs.).link

4. inazuma

inazuma Extra

The 20AF42 looks perfect. I'll probably go ahead and get that one. Would you mind sharing how you fixed the geometry problem? Would like to know how to fix it when I get my set. Thanks again everyone!

5. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Your 20AF42 may not have any geometry issues. Every tv is different. I fixed them by accessing the tv's service menu. If you're not sure what that means, then you probably don't want to be doing it yourself [​IMG] If you do know what that means and are comfortable using the tv's service menu system to make changes (such actions can technically void your warranty) then do a search in this forum for info on getting into the service menu for this set and other Toshiba sets. I have to stress though, if you're not comfortable doing such system/technical level changes then you may want to simply have a technician come fix things if you have any problems.
    good luck,
    --tom