What's new

Nearfest 2004 (plus The Musical Box) (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
So who here is planning on going?

A friend and I are going to try to get tickets, and also attend the Musical Box (Genesis tribute) show Friday night.

Lineup:

Strawbs
Univers Zero
Mike Keneally Band (yeah!)
Planet X
Pallas
Metamorfosi
Yezda Urfa
Hidria Spacefolk
Richard Pinhas
Sean Malone

I don't get to see a lot of contemporary prog. I sure hope we manage to get tix.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I've gone every year so far, and I don't plan on missing this year.

Jason

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I'm still debating whether or not to go. The only one I went to was last year because I lived like 40 minutes away, so was able to find someone from Canada with an extra ticket who crashed at my place (and gave me his ticket). I was also into more of those bands (Flower Kings, Tunnels, Magma, Camel).

This year I'd have to book a hotel room and such- it would be a big hassle and more expensive. And I'm not as excited about the bands, though some are cool.

The Strawbs are OK, I have two of their CDs. Univers Zero should be a trip to see. Planet X kicks ass and though I've never heard the Mike Keneally band, I'm sure that's a great one. I don't like Pallas and don't know the others.

I'm surprised to see the last two on the list- I thought they were doing only 8 bands from now on. Sean Malone is an amazing player- I am familiar with him from Cynic and Gordian Knot.

I'll try to visit the web site today and decide what I'm doing.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Well, you don't need to decide for another month, since tickets seem to be going on sale later this time around. Good thing for me, since I'm getting married this weekend.

Jason

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Michael, Let me know how The Musical Box is. I wish they would come to Seattle (we are finally getting the Australian Pink Floyd show in April).

Dennis_H

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, I'm going. I went the patron route and ended up front row center! I don't know near as many bands this year as I did the last 2, but Rob and Chadd always put on a great show.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Jason, congrats! Bring the missus- what better way to kick off a marriage than with complex, cacophonous pretentious music?

I'm in Brooklyn now, I just haven't updated my profile. The distance is driveable, but not if I want to see the Musical Box and go to both days, which I would (all or nothing!).

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

Well, I did one year have to share a hotel room to make NEARFest. There are always a few on NEARFest website looking to share a room.

BTW, there is a new festival that is starting up in PA. Unfortunatly, there is no way I can go.

www.RoSFest.com

Jason

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Congrats on the upcoming nuptials too Jason...Have a blast.

Mike, I think you would dig both Metamorfosi and Yezda Urfa. They are both 70's bands that each released only a couple of albums. Italian band Metamorfosi has some killer keyboard work (Hammond, moog, etc.) on their album Inferno and it's essentially one long suite that flows quite nicely. It's kinda over the top with the keyboards sometimes, but I find it a lot more fun than ELP. Yezda Urfa's second album Sacred Baboon is a mixture of Yes and Gentle Giant (especially in the vocal arrangements) with a good dose of humour. They're from the U.S.

I was actually considering playing both those bands while co-hosting a prog radio show this Sunday. It'll only be my second time on the air, but I really enjoyed the first time last month and didn't come across as more than a doofus than I already am...:D

Anyway, I'll try to squeeze both of them in if you promise to tune in Sunday morning from 7-8:30AM EST (Internet stream found here and last month's playlist where I selected half the tunes is here ). We're hoping to make this a bit more regular, but my buddy is currently subbing in for the normal host and I'm just piggy backing on him when possible...

So Jason, 7AM OK with your wife to be? That shouldn't be a problem the day after your wedding, should it? :)

Edit: Whoops, just found out my next stint on the air is Feb. 29th...My buddy forgot and scheduled someone else in. I'll play both bands my next show and repost here just before then.

Bob Turnbull

Supporting Actor
Probably goes without saying, but if you check out the Nearfest web site, you'll find the scheduled lineup listing. Each band has a couple of MP3s available for download (full songs). Both Metamorfosi and Yezda Urfa are covered here...

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Bob, thanks for the info.

7am on a Sunday? Ouch, dude, this prog fan needs his sleep.

The cool thing about prog is that even if I don't know or even like the band's music, it can be fun to see on stage. That was true with a couple of acts last year. I didn't "hate" any of them, despite disliking some of the music.

The hotel room sharing thing is a good idea. But I'm going to wait until I know if I score tickets first.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Either way, if we all go, we should hang out after the shows and drink our selves stupid... er, I mean, discuss music.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Lee, visit the web site (just do a search for it in any engine). It stands for North East Art Rock festival. You've never heard of the bands because they're hardcore prog, the kind of stuff only folks who are totally into that music dig. About half the bands are pretty old. But there are some connections to "normal" music (sorta):

Mike Kenneally, who's leading his own band at the festival, got his start with Frank Zappa during his last tour. He also supported Steve Vai later on.

Derek Sherinian, leader of Planet X, played keyboards for Alice Cooper, Kiss, and Dream Theater.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

He's also assisted soundscapes with Robert Fripp, worked with Mike Gilbert, Shankar, and Screamin' Jay Hawkins. He can also count Adrian Legg and Andy Partridge among his fans.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Throw this back on top, since this is in a couple of days.

I'll probably be wearing my Mostly Autumn shirt the first day, so that's probably the best way to recognize me...

Jason

Trina

Agent
PLEASE check out the Mike Keneally Band!!! Their new CD, Dog, is just amazing. I almost decided to make the 10 hour trip just to see them live again. However, my work schedule didn't agree with my plan. :frowning:

If you haven't ordered Dog, go to keneally.com and get the Special Edition which includes a bonus DVD. Good stuff!!!

T

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks