near the end pics

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ChrisY, Mar 16, 2001.

1. ChrisY

ChrisY Auditioning

I've posted some pictures in case anyone is interested in how we constructed columns to hide our side and rear speakers. The photo album also has some pictures of the rest of the theatre under construction. The upper fabric is actually a dark green, but with this digital camera it looks like a light blue. We have completed the theatre except for chairs (on order) and the curtains and hope to post finished pictures soon.
    http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewP...p=35386518&f=0

2. kevin nelson

kevin nelson Auditioning

Chris,
    That's one great looking HT [​IMG]
    What are the dimensions of your room?
    I like the idea of hiding the speaker like that, gives it a very clean look.
    Well done, I'm extremely jealous.
    Kevin

3. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    All I can say is WOW!
    Very nice HT Chris [​IMG] [​IMG] I'd also like to know the size of the room. I really like all the detail your putting into it, very classy.
    Peace Out~ [​IMG]
    ------------------
    [​IMG] The Green Room

4. Jeff Evans

Jeff Evans Auditioning

Unbelievable!!! Your theater room looks awesome. Do you have written down somewhere all of the trade-offs and thought processes that went into designing such a great theater?

5. RyanL

RyanL Stunt Coordinator

This looks great! Very professionally done. Is this your job?? [​IMG] I too would like to know what is your rm dimensions? Where did you buy most of the products?

6. ChrisY

ChrisY Auditioning

Thanks for the nice comments. The room was originally a storage area in our basement, with a second smaller storage area that we opened up. The completed room is about 15 ft wide and 21 feet long. The screen is 96" by 54". There is a small foyer that contains the backlit marquee that you see in the pictures and the built-in equipment rack, which is not shown. In order to build the room we had to move some heating pipes, and I hired a contractor to do that, as well as to do the basic framing and most of the sheetrock work. I did low voltage wiring, the insulation work, the framing for the speakers, all of the fabric and trim work, painting, installation of equipment, etc. The wood is a cherry-stained birch. The columns use birch veneer, which is also cherry-stained. Dennis Erskine did the original design, which I modified a bit. Dennis calculated the acoustic treatments that are covered by the fabric. The projector is a G90, which was a bear to mount, which is slightly recessed into the ceiling. The ceiling is "floating," i.e. it does not touch the subfloor above so that there is no sound transmission through the wood. I am working on organizing my thoughts onto a web page that will describe what I did and what I might have done differently (which is not much, I was pretty satisfied with how the work progressed). We started this project in earnest about 9 months ago.

7. Mike G

Mike G Stunt Coordinator

Oops, sorry Chris I got drool all over your pictures. [​IMG]

8. Jesse Leonard

Jesse Leonard Second Unit

Looks like we are having a Seattle meet at Chris's! [​IMG]
    That is one nice looking theater you are building! I am jealous! I definetly look forward to your journal of how you went about doing everything.
    ------------------
    http://www.scarecrow.com
    "I carried a watermelon."