Near louisville or Indianapolis

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by brian rose, Feb 19, 2002.

1. brian rose

brian rose Auditioning

I am entering the world of Home theaters and becoming over-whelmed. So many projectors and possibilities. I was hoping to buy a XGA porjector and build a HTPC for about $3000. The problem is I would like to see this kind of setup before I purchase. If anyone lives in the Louisville or Indianapolis area and doesn't mind showing off a similar set up I would be very appreciative.

I have been to a couple of high-end audi-visual places that build custom theaters but all they want to do is sell what they have, $12,000 and higher, not to mention the expensive screen and absolutely no mention of HTPC.

I believe there are 3 things men (or women---home owners) should do. Build there own deck, refinish there basement and put together there own hometheater (ha ha). That was not meant to offend anyone.

2. socrates maroudis

socrates maroudis Auditioning

One of the latest things that seem to get used as a Home Theater PC is the Shuttle SV24. There are lots of reviews of it and here is a link where you can buy one. Just put in a sound card with 5.1 digital output and a video card with TV out or DV out and you are ready to go. Hope this helps.

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Brian,
    If you want to drive to Cleveland, you could check out my setup [​IMG]
    Although doing both the PJ and the HTPC for $3000 might be tough. A decent projector alone will run you $2000-$2500... and my PC cost about $1200 to build.
    If you're doing research on the HTPC front, certainly check out the area here on the HTF, but also take a trip over to avs (www.avsforum.com) and check their HTPC section (and their FAQ).
    Not to go against Socrates, but I prefer to simply build my machine from scratch-- and have total control. Those shuttle machines are pretty limited (2 sticks of ram, no DDR only PC133)...
    My HTPC is built around a AMD Epox board- but most guys are suggesting intel these days.
    -Vince

4. Matt Weldy

Matt Weldy Second Unit

I live in Indy and I have one purchased. However its not installed yet. I am still waiting for some other renovations to be done. And the way its going who know when it will be done. Just to let you know I've had the projector in the box for 2 months. But I am a pilot and sometimes its hard to be home long enough to get anything done. If I get finished sometime soon I will let you know.